4949 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL-380 G3 Server - RAID-1 Array shows failed

Infoline
Advisor

DL-380 G3 Server - RAID-1 Array shows failed

Hi

we are using DL-380 G3 Server with RAID-1 36GB HDD (1 Logical drive)which has the operating system and RAID-0 with 2x36GB HDD (72 GB Logical drive), which is used as RDP server, with the RAID controller version 5i.

For Update reason, we shutdown the server and removed the ID-0 HDD from the RAID-1. When we booted the system with only ID-1, the system booted normally. Again,since the update did not go through, we shutdown the server, booted with the old ID-0 HDD, with ID-1 removed, the system failed and the HP Array utility showed RAID-1 had Failed. The system failed with only ID-1 also. The system detects the RAID-1 has failed when we try to boot with either of the RAID-1 pair.

Can this array be restored or any way we can get back the data from these HDD?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: DL-380 G3 Server - RAID-1 Array shows failed

Hi,

ah, so I'm not the only one who had problems with this.
I tried the exact same procedure as you, with the same results. We had a test machine (also a DL380 G3 with Smart Array 5i, FW 2.62) and pulled one of the OS disks for testing purposes. The test failed, and I wanted to go back to the previous OS state, so I shut down, pulled the 1st disk, reinserted the 2nd disk and tried booting. But it failed. I have a feeling that the controller now remembers a disk as failed or missing, and if that disk is reinserted while the system is powered off, it still thinks it is failed.
Unforunately I could not recover this array. I had to delete and recreate it, then reinstalled the OS.

A possible workaround would involve a 3rd disk. After the first shut down, pull one disk, restart and let the system boot. Then insert this extra disk and let the RAID1 rebuild. If the test is unsuccessful and you want to go back, shut down, pull both RAID1 disks, and reinsert the 1st disk you removed in its original position. It should then boot from this. But I didn't get a chance to test this yet.

It's annoying because this procedure used to work. It was a big advantage of Smart Array controllers over others. Does anyone know if HP changed something in the firmware to stop this from working?

Regards,
Stephen
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Stephen, may be such upproach can help?
after pulling first drive and before inserting second drive turn on server to update controller info to "no logical drives", so next time info will be read only from disk.

Infoline
Advisor

We were not able to try the steps given since we had already tried booting with both the HDD and it failed. Is there any other means of restoring the data from the either of the HDD?

Regards
Chandrakanth
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Latest ACU have option "Re-enable logical drive". But I have never tried it.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try this.

--------------------------------------------
Re-enable Logical Drive
-----------------------
It is possible to re-enable a logical drive using the CLI. Re-enabling a failed logical drive will allow the logical drive to be used again. Any previously existing data on the logical drive may not be valid or recoverable. The forced keyword represses the warning prompt.
Command Syntax
modify reenable [forced]

Notes: must be a logical drive
Example Command
=> ctrl slot=3 ld 1 modify reenable forced
Example CLI Response
=> ctrl slot=3 ld all show
Smart Array 5312 in Slot 3
array A
logicaldrive 1 (498 MB, RAID 0, Failed)
array B
logicaldrive 2 (442 MB, RAID 1+0, OK)
=> ctrl slot=3 ld 1 modify reenable
Warning: Any previously existing data on the logical drive may not be valid or recoverable. Continue? (y/n) y
=> ctrl slot=3 ld all show
Smart Array 5312 in Slot 3

array A
logicaldrive 1 (498 MB, RAID 0, OK)
array B
logicaldrive 2 (442 MB, RAID 1+0, OK)

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Infoline
Advisor

Hi

We tried the CLI commands. But the commands gave error " This operation is not supported on the current configuration". We tried other options giving the Array, physicadrive, etc..but all the commands gave the same error. Attaching the screenshot of the error.

Kindly Suggest.

Thanks,
Chandrakanth
Infoline
Advisor

Hi

We were able to recover the Data from te RAID-1 pair, we had to delete the Array and recreate a New Array of RAID-0 with new logical Drive, with only 1 HDD of the old RAID-1 pair, after this step, we were able to see the old data in the newly created Logical drive. In the whole process, we had to downgrade from RAID-1 to RAID-0, but the all the old data was recovered.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Chandrakanth