108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 380 G4 fan control

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vilius_1
Advisor

DL 380 G4 fan control

Recently we bought DL 380 G4 server equipted with 8 redundant fans.

I installed Windows Server 2003 x64 Standart Edition using SmartStart 7.40 CD. Everything seems to run fine except the fans. They are very noisy.

From my past experiences with HP servers I know that fans are controled with cpqhealth driver which is loaded during OS boot. But in this case I can't see the driver loading.

Where can I download and install Compaq Health driver separately? Is it supported by x64 edition of Windows Server 2003?

I searched here on forums but couldn't find solution for my problem.
24 REPLIES 24
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Visit http://www.hp.com/servers/swdrivers and select your model and download the ProLiant Support Pack and install it. Everything you need is contained in there.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Vilius_1
Advisor

I already installed PSP as I installed operating system with the help of SmartStart CD.

Also to make sure, I checked every driver/software on download page. But fans are still rotating at enormous speeds.

Any other suguestions?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Under system management home page
Recovery /Environmental
What Speed you have for all fans, normal or high (low and full)?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0354W

Would be same for G4

What you use for compare? Server? Generation? Newer G3, G4, some of the louder.
Vilius_1
Advisor

Speed is "normal" on all 8 fans.

I have another 4 or 5 servers in same rack. DL320, ML350 and ML370 (all G3). Also one old HP TC and one SuperMicro server. DL380 G4 is louder than all of them in sum.

If fan control would be passed to Health Driver I would knew, because I would hear speed changes, right? In my case *I think* Health Driver is somehow not enabled or not installed.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

As a result of this enhancement, when the ProLiant DL380 G3 or G4 server is powered up, the system fans run at normal operating speed and there is no noticeable change in fan speed when the Health Driver loads and fan control is passed from the hardware to the Health Driver (refer to the diagram below).

You can try to slide out server open top cover and monitor system management home page, it might take 7-15 + minutes, in some cases you can try to place piece of paper in the front of CPU zone fans and monitor for sound and speed.
Vilius_1
Advisor

I tried your solution with sheet of paper (and with my own hands also :)) and still can't see, hear or feel any speed change during OS load.

I'm almost sure that something is wrong. Because even 1U DL320 G3 with very small and very noisy fans is A LOT quiter.

Does anyone know if Health driver is supported under Windows Server 2003 *x64* Edition?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

SNMP, Server agents and system management Driver you need to have for tools at system management home page and other stuff.

Try to open Version Control Agent form system management home page you can see exactly what installed
You should able see HP ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver .....
Vilius_1
Advisor

HP Insight Management Agents for Windows 2000/Server 2003 7.40.0.0

ATI2MPAD Miniport Driver 6.14.10.6024

HP Array Configuration Utility 7.40.8.0

HP ProLiant iLO Advanced System Management Controller and Enhanced Management Controller Driver 5.37.0.0

HP iLO Management Channel Interface Driver 1.7.3790.0

HP ProLiant Smart Array Device Manager Extension 5.10.0.64

Network Teaming Intermediate Driver (NTID), 8.10.00.19, NDIS 5.1, x64, (free) 8.10.0.0

HP Array Configuration Utility (CLI) 7.40.7.0

HP Array Diagnostics Utility 7.40.7.0

Smart Array 5x and 6x Controllers Storport Driver 5.14.4.64

HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Windows 7.4.0.1570

HP System Management Home Page for Windows 2.1.2.127

HP Version Control Agent 2.1.2.740

HP Smart Array 6i Controller 2.48

Compaq Remote Insight ROM 1.82

Compaq System ROM 2005.06.02

Am I missing something?