New Discussion юеВ

DL 380 G4 fan control

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark_475
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL 380 G4 fan control

Hi,

I think the fan controller on board might be faulty, try replacing the system board.
Vilius_1
Advisor

Local HP support just replaced the system board. Still the same behaviour. The funny thing is that they were not sure about the fan speed too :). So they decided to test couple machines in their server farm and would tell me about results.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Vilius, 5 minutes could be just not enough to get to critical level
You can safely open top cover and let system run with 5 fans
Before you open System Management Home Page (SMHP) pull one Fan, simulate failure
From SMHP you should notice one fan is missing this need only to test SMHP
Following Steps would not depend if you have fan removed or not, it's up to you to install or keep out

ONE RULE !!! Keep BIOS Settings to default, clear NVRAM Prior you run the test !!!

To speed up simulated Overheating, Keep Top cover Open you can use a piece of Paper to change direct Air Flow
See attachment for exact paper position, red long one can be full high 2U piece of paper and red short should block only partially air flow, so fan can cool itself down.
Let system stand over 15-25 minutes (or less), stay close and Refresh status from SMHP regularly

Vilius_1
Advisor

At last. Thank you KOV. It seems that I misplaced paper sheets the first time, and I didn't cleared NVRAM of course.

I've followed your instructions this time step by step and fans are kicking into high speed. Now I can sleep well as I know that fans are working properly :)

Thanks again!
Vilius_1
Advisor

Thread closed.