ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751730 Members
5563 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 380 G4 wasted space on expanded array. pls help...

razi_1
Advisor

DL 380 G4 wasted space on expanded array. pls help...

hello,

i have win2003 server on dl 380 G4 running with 72 GB scsi u320 10K. the server running out of space, so i have added 300GB size of hdd into second bay.

but then i only realize that there is no way i can utilize all 300GB as it will only detect only 72 GB like first drive. the problem is i only realized this after the array has been expanded. the extra space still unallocated but the array has been expanded to have extra 72GB and around 230GB wasted space.

so i have stop at this point looking for solutions..

1) can i remove the 300GB disk from expanded array and put in 72GB disk. how to do this?

2) if above wont work should i extended the space and let the 230GB wasted until i get another 300GB drive at replace the first 72GB disk and let the array rebuild. will this make my server has 600GB ?

pls help me..btw im under Raid-0/JBOD .

thanks
3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 380 G4 wasted space on expanded array. pls help...

not too much to do about

since you got RAID 0 so you cannot replace a HDD to rebuild since RAID 0 has not that capability at all like RAID 1 which lets you do that you are thinking on doing 1) - 2)

so the only think you can do is get 2 more HDDs and migrate to RAID 1 once that is done replace the remain 72 GB HDD or get another 300GB and migrate to RAID 5

it is up to you
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
razi_1
Advisor

hello,

thanks at least a solution at the end.. i juts felt bad coz the disk 300GB is far more expensive than 72GB and yet i can only use 72Gb.

so pls let me know:

1) what do you mean by getting 2 more HDD to migrate to Raid-1? it already 2 HDD now under raid-0, (72GB and 300GB) so do you mean i need 2 x 300 GB more to migrate to raid-1? pls explain throughly.

2) i believe even i added 2 more 300 GB it will detect only 72GB each disk but once i replace the 72GB disk with 300GB, the array can be rebuild and all will detected as 300GB disk each right?

thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

1) what do you mean by getting 2 more HDD to migrate to Raid-1? it already 2 HDD now under raid-0, (72GB and 300GB) so do you mean i need 2 x 300 GB more to migrate to raid-1? pls explain throughly.

you can try open ADU and see if you got the option to migrate your RAID 0 to RAID 1 I am not sure if you will have that option if it's not that's what I tell you you need to add 2 more HDDS either 300 GB or 72 whatever in order to migrate to RAID 1 - RAID 1 only works using 2 - 4 - 6 - ... HDDS they have to be in pairs

2) i believe even i added 2 more 300 GB it will detect only 72GB each disk but once i replace the 72GB disk with 300GB, the array can be rebuild and all will detected as 300GB disk each right?

yes whatever you have handy
if you use 72GB it will continue working as 72 GB HDD if you use 300GB HDD eventually you need to replace all of them to get the real space for all 300GB HDD

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!