1748226 Members
4593 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 380 G4

Matthew Ollerenshaw

DL 380 G4

Hi all this is my first post on here so please bear with me.
customer has a DL380 G4 installed with a smart array 642 raid controller installed and also the onboard 6i.
the array is running fine on the 642 but only 4 drives are being reconginsed. i want to add a hot spare but ports 0 & 1 are on the 6i.
i have looked around to try and find how to get these 2 ports on the 642 but have no idea. any help would be awsome.

thanks matt
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Matthew

so you want your 642 controller controll all your 6 HDDs right, in that case check this
I think the one for you is to control your 6 HDDs using simplex way

page 60

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687567/c00687567.pdf

anything else let us know
regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Matthew Ollerenshaw

if i changes this configuration will it screw up any of the array? or will the array just keep working?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I want to know 6i has 2 HDDs... Data or OS?

642 has 4 HDDs... Data or OS?

if you just want to remove the 2 HDDs from 6i and use an spare and the 642 has the OS you wont lose any data

if not let me know what the scenario is

regards
Matthew Ollerenshaw

ok atm i have 4 146gb on the 642 and 1 146 on the 6i. i have never been able to do anything with this drive as it has been on the 6i so i want to move it as a hot spare into the 642 array.

i didnt build the server the person that i took over did and i have only worked on the g5's
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ok

in that scenario if the 6i HDD is not important at all

just do the cable as you see on PDF and just add that HDD as hot spare using ACU

regards