ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753280 Members
5721 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 380 G5 + 1/8 Autoloader Performance.

P_Thrill

DL 380 G5 + 1/8 Autoloader Performance.

Hi,
Just recently purchased the new DL 380 G5 with Hyper Threading attached to a 1/8 autoloader LTO3 running CommVault Galaxy v6; performance is ~32GB/hr.
Hardware:
DL 380 G5
4 x SAS 72GB drives (local)
P400 SCSI card with 512MB & Battery Cache
1/8 Autoloader LTO3

The LTO3 is rated at 80MB/sec (native) = 240GB/hr; theoretically!
I have the exact same setup (except for SAS disks) using DL 380 G4, I attain 112GB/hr.

Could it be the SAS disks holding me back? Any setting on the P400 card that needs to be enabled?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Are yo attaching this autoloader to an Array Controller? The P400 is an array controlelr yes? ( i am NTO as familiar as I should be with the newer servers).

What is the the autoloader attached to on the DL380g4?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
P_Thrill

The Autoloader was connected to the Smart Array 6i Controller on the G4; with local scsi disks.

HP specs their P400 scsi card to have 300MB/s per port and there are 2 ports on the card and both of them are connected to the SAS cage.

Note: as a test, I connected the G5 to my SAN (Drive C: and Drive D:[110GB]) and performed a backup - throughput attained was ~270GB/hr which is normal.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Ok. The first issue I see is that the 1/8 autoloader is NOT supported on an Array Controller. In order to make proper use of the changer, you need to attach the unit to a standard SCSI HBA.

Performing a backup over the SAN is not a good comparison since you are talking about 2 totally different medium's.

My only suggestion I can give is to get yourself a SCSI hba to connect the autoloader to.

What backup software are you using?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
P_Thrill

I'm using CommVault Galaxy (not by choice).

I performed the SAN test to confirm/isolate where the possible problem may be located. This confirms that the bottle neck lies between the SAS disks and the P400. I'm also trying to get my hands on a P600 which also supports SAS drives.