ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748019 Members
4642 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 380 G5 Hard Drive question

MooreIT

DL 380 G5 Hard Drive question

Hello All! We have a DL 380 G5 that I'm looking to re-purpose for a backup application server however I'm going to need more drive space. The RAID controller is a Smart Array P400/256MB SAS Controller with firmware 7.08 and the drives that are currently in it are the Hot-plug 72GB 3G SAS 15K SFF (2.5 in) Single-port HDD (PN 418373-008 with 432321-001 as the replacement).

I've been looking around at some of the third party vendors out there and noticed that several have this drive listed:
581286-B21 HP 600GB 2.5" SFF 6G Dual Port SAS 10K RPM Hot Plug Hard Drive
Will this drive work with this RAID controller? I realize that it won't run at 6G speeds but I'm more worried about compatibility. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: DL 380 G5 Hard Drive question

I would put on the latest firmware for the server. I would not use non-HP drives. The firmware could conflict with your HP drives.
MooreIT

I'm fairly sure they are HP drives just used and / or refurbished but I'll definitely ask that question before I buy. I'll run through and updated whatever I can before I set the server up.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Gray Market drives can cause issues. I would verify the source. If you have Carepaq support, you want new HP drives otherwise HP does not support tham. So be careful. I don't use refurbed drives except what HP replaces. My data is worth too much to buy any drives but new. Does the P400 support 600GB drives? I know I can add them to my SAN.
MooreIT

I realize it's risky to use grey market drives however in this case we're OK with the risk. I'm not sure if the 600 GB drives will work with the P400, I was hoping someone might have tried it already here :)