1753474 Members
4540 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 380 G5 Memory Configuration

sockpuppet
Occasional Advisor

DL 380 G5 Memory Configuration

I have purchased 2 4Gb Dimms and taken out the existing memory and put these 4Gb Dimms in 1A & 3A
The server just beeps when I turn it on. The memory is HP 8GB FBD PC2-5300 2x4Gb kit 397415-B21 which is listed as correct for a DL380 G5

Anyone go any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hm, have you tried to reset the NVRAM on the server? Does it still work if you put in the two old ones and then maybe the new ones in 5B 7B? Do you have any other DIMMs also installed at the same time?
sockpuppet
Occasional Advisor

That was my next plan to try it in 5b 7b as we have 2 other DL380G5's which both have 1gb in 1a 3a and then one has 2Gb filling the rest of the slots and the other server has 4 x 4Gb in 2c, 4c, 5b, 7b and they both work fine.

Trouble is that the server is running several VMware machines so taking it down causes lots of disruption.

I will post the results when I next get to try the RAM upgrade again
sockpuppet
Occasional Advisor

I think it's duff memory as I tried all the different possible configurations and the server still wouldn't power on.

I have requested replacement memory

What brand was the DIMMS? Micron?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary, is that little extra.
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

If it beeps its because its not detecting that memory or it sees it as invalid, would not be a bad idea to request replacement dimms and give it a try. Also ensure that your BIOS is up to date.
Jesper Rex
Occasional Advisor

I have a similar problem.

I have just mounted 2 x 8GB kit PN: 397415-b21 on a DL380 G5 server, that has been canibalised earlier.

Server powers on, fans runs at MAX power. No Biips, Nothing on the display.

ILO reports the DIMMS as 4 x 1GB, not 4 x 4GB!!
I am upgrading ILO firmware, and when I get some "old" memory, I will upgrade the Server BIOS
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

397415-b21 is a supported kit for DL380 G5 so this memory should work without any issues.
Take a look on the Dimm vendor label you should see a number that looks like this:

HYMP151F72CP4N3-Y5 AB-C 0814

gather that number and let me know what it is.
sockpuppet
Occasional Advisor

I got the new replacement memory through, put it in the server and it worked fine so the last memory was obviously faulty.
sockpuppet
Occasional Advisor

See above