Re: DL 380 G5 RAID 5 Slow

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Camm
Advisor

Downgraded to 6.6.2.32 and rebooted.

Same problem

Upgraded to 6.10.0.32 and rebooted. Also upgraded the BIOS to 2008.1.24 and the disk firmware to HPD7.

Running some tests now

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again

and what about juan quesada suggestion

" As a workaround:
The write caching can be disabled by setting the Read/Write ratio to 100/0 on the logical drive being utilized"

did you give it a try?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Chris Camm
Advisor

This has always been disabled.

Many thanks

The server has just rebooted though unexpectedly so I am now thinking of rolling back to the original version of the driver if its a driver issue.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks again
Chris Camm
Advisor

I have been doing more testing and it seems to be that writing to the server is a lot quicker than reading from the server.

More investigation seems to point to the TCP Offload Engine. I have now done the following:

Run:

netsh int ip set chimney disabled

I have Disabled Receive-Side Scaling, TCP Offload Engine all under the teaming on the server. I have installed the latest drivers for the NIC's and the teaming software. Deleted the TEAM and recreated it. Rebooted after all these changes. I have made sure that the Switch is set to AUTO/AUTO and that the NIC's are also set to AUTO/AUTO.

I am running out of ideas. Searching the forum as found some help as I have gone through everything in the post:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1158952&admit=109447626+1204648547079+28353475

But I am still having the same errors.

Anymore suggestions greatly appreciated.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor
Solution

BTW this procedure is use without the need of disabling anything, no TOE or RSS so the NIC will have all functions available.

When you try to update the driver it will not overwrite the existing one, so, what we do is actually delete the driver from windows registry and we installed manually. This way it will work

Solution.
Download the driver for your OS version on a USB Key, save the driver into a temporary folder in the affected server, make sure that the folder and its contents are not marked as read only.
1) Go to the device manager and right click on the NIC device and select Uninstall
2) Go to Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Information.
3) On the left side click on the + sign to expand the menu > Click on the + sign to expand Network menu > click on adapter.
4) On the right page look for the HP NC31xx Fast Ethernet NIC Driver location. Copy the driver location and then go to the folder where the driver resides and manually delete it.
5) Reboot the server and stop windows driver installation. If it prompts for you to choose the new driver cancel all request and get into windows, once there install the driver from the .exe file that you downloaded.
6) Reboot the server. By now you should be able to use the NIC card.

Regards
Chris Camm
Advisor

I have managed to get hold of a spare G5 server so I am going to test your suggestion on this so that I can keep rebooting the servers without affecting the users. I will let you know if it resolves the issue.

Many thanks for your help
Chris Camm
Advisor

I have managed to update the NIC card.

Driver Name BXND52X.SYS
Driver Version 4.1.3.0
VDB Driver Version 4.1.5.0
Bootcode Version 1.9.6

Teaming is set to 9.0.0.0

There are now no packets being dropped. However to speed is still really slow:

When saving a word file to a DL380 G4 it takes 1 second. Saving the same file to a DL 380 G5 takes 15 seconds.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what if you try the drivers from Broadcom those are linked here

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1211628

try those and let us know

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Chris Camm
Advisor

I have tried to install the broadcom drivers but it wont let me.

I have changed the settings on the pc's NIC to none for the Checksum offload and disable for the Large Checksum offload

With this done we get a throughput of on the Team Utilisation:

575Mbps on the RX
261Mbps on the TX

This is a vast improvement.

However, on the production server if I run this test I can get the speed up to 520Mbps on the RX and 227Mbps on the TX at its peek but the average is 163Mbps on the RX and 112Mbps on the TX.

I have updated to the latest SSD's too version 8.0

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried doenloading the latest version of the smart start CD, boot from it and then run the firmware update check on the servers. Updat whatever firmware it flags as needing to be updated and reboot the server into windows?

Sometimes I have found that simply having the firmware up-to-date takes care of a lot of the problems that happen like this.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.