1753903 Members
10173 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL 380 G9 High fan speed

jonahgroup
Occasional Advisor

I just checked the ILM and it gave me something possibly actionable.  It thought that one of the new hard drives was overheating.  So I spread them out a bit, and did a full power cycling (removing the power cords and waiting a bit) and now it seems to be stable again. 

Not sure which part of all my futzing did the trick, but so far the server is stable again.  For reference, here is what I'm at:

HPE Smart Storage Battery 1 Firmware 1.0 Embedded iLO 2.50 Sep 23 2016 System Board Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data 24.02 System Board Intelligent Provisioning 2.01.29 System Board Power Management Controller Firmware 1.0.9 System Board Power Management Controller FW Bootloader 1.0 System Board Redundant System ROM P89 v2.56 (01/22/2018) System Board SAS Programmable Logic Device Version 0x02 System Board Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware 3.0.6.267.1 System Board Smart Array P440ar Controller 5.04 Embedded System Programmable Logic Device Version 0x30 System Board System ROM P89 v2.40 (02/17/2017) System Board 

All was provided by SPP 2017.04.  At this point I won't even consider upgrading to anything newer cause I'm afraid everything will melt down again.

LemmyC_AU
Occasional Visitor

HP FAN NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED 

Fans spin up randomly -very noisy

System has reported a problem with storage cahe battery

POST Error: 312-HPE Smart Storage Battery 1 Failure - Communication with the battery failed. Its output may not be enabled. Action: Verify battery is properly installed. Refer to user guide. Contact HPE support if condition persists.

All firmware up to date - problem remains, Replace battery - problem solved

Product Name ProLiant DL360 Gen9
System ROM P89 v2.60 (05/21/2018)
System ROM Date 05/21/2018
License Type iLO Advanced
iLO Firmware Version 2.61 Jul 27 2018

Smart Array P440ar Controller
Firmware Version 6.60
Controller Type HPE Smart Array

Regards  LemmyC

KristinB

High LemmyC I have a client with a Prliant ML350 experiencing intermittant high speed fan noise from the server.  Immediately I found in iLO the primary power supply had failed, I replace this today with no change to the fan speed reguarly spinng up and very noisy.  However after checking the system health in the bios I noticed a storage battery failure error.

Can you confirm this resolved your issue with the fan speeds, I'm confused as to the relation between the failed battery and the system fans.

Regardless I will suggest the battery is replaced.

Thanks in advance

Kristin

gdespaux

Just wanted to confirm that the Smart Storage battery failing is indeed a possible cause for the fans to spin up to very high RPMs.

After going through HP support, updating all firmware and drivers for the server and iLO, including the attached P2000 storage array, the solution was to remove/replace the Smart Storage battery.

Just wanted to verify that this did resolve our issue, and if you're seeing the POST message/iLO warning concerning the battery and having the issue with fans, this is most likely your cause. However, if you aren't having the message you may have a different cause.