New Discussion

DL 380/G9 SSA error

SOLVED
Go to solution
brhunt
Occasional Contributor

DL 380/G9 SSA error

Hello,

We have a client with a DL380/G9 who lost 3 drives in a Raid5 array.  They replaced the drives, but needless to say the Virtual Disk that was on it was lost.

They asked us to come in and build a new VD and reload the OS.

We tried to run the HPSSA from the boot-time system config, but it always fails with an error on the CLI screen:

"Initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt"

Not sure what this means?  Is flash memory corrupted in some way?  Any way to reflash to get HPSSA operating again?

I also tried to run HPSSA stand-alone by downloading the SSA software and the HP USB Key Utilty, but was not able to get anything together that would allow me to boot from the USB key and run the software.  Can anyone advise me on this as well?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Bryan Hunt

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: DL 380/G8 SSA error

Hello,

I hope the server updated with the latest.

Suspecting the firmware on the storage controller isn't the same as the software that is loaded from iLO flash to run Intelligent Provisioning and the Storage Administrator. From the error message displayed

I would suggest updating the server with the latest SPP 8.1 from the below link. Try to install the server after updating SPP 8.1

Service Pack for ProLiant Gen8.1(6 Nov 2017)

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_ff582daf008c4f529c4d6c28f6

Please let us know for the further assistance .

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

brhunt
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL 380/G9 SSA error

Sanjeev,

Thank you for the reply.

I realized when I read your reply that I had made a typo in my post.  This server is actually a G9 server, not a G8.  I will try to correct the post.

Can you send me the link for G9 servers?

Thanks.

Bryan Hunt

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@brhunt wrote:

Hello,

We have a client with a DL380/G9 who lost 3 drives in a Raid5 array.  They replaced the drives, but needless to say the Virtual Disk that was on it was lost.

They asked us to come in and build a new VD and reload the OS.

We tried to run the HPSSA from the boot-time system config, but it always fails with an error on the CLI screen:

"Initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt"

Not sure what this means?  Is flash memory corrupted in some way?  Any way to reflash to get HPSSA operating again?

I also tried to run HPSSA stand-alone by downloading the SSA software and the HP USB Key Utilty, but was not able to get anything together that would allow me to boot from the USB key and run the software.  Can anyone advise me on this as well?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Bryan Hunt

You can install the latest Intelligent Provisioning recovery image.
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_f6abd3e3803e4b2395eee361c3

For offline SSA, the group that deals with that image has moved away from the normal procedure to make the device bootable for a USB key, so you don't use the USB key utility. Follow the instructions listed on the HPSSA Offline download page

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_a71f9c68d9a547778154d77e71#tab3

Installation:
Booting from a USB key is supported only for UEFI mode. To do this, mount the ISO using your preferred ISO mounting software, format the USB Key, and then copy the contents of the mounted ISO to the USB key. The USB key may now be used to boot to the Offline Smart Storage Administrator environment.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
brhunt
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Jimmy,

Thanks for the advice.  

I was able to (finally) boot from the USB key into offline SSA.  I tried about 10 times using different permutations without luck.  Finally I stumbled upon the critical piece of information from an obscure post: the USB key *must* be partitioned as MBR, not GPT.  I used diskpart to change it, reformatted, loaded files and it booted perfectly.

One side note about that, I tried to do the same thing with a CD.  Checked partition, was MBR.  Loaded files and burned CD, but would not ever boot.  I gave up quickly on that, as the key worked perfectly.  Any idea on why that would fail?

FInally, I flashed the unit with the Intelligent Provisioning recovery image.  That also worked perfectly.  Now I can run the ILO based SSA without an error.

Thanks for the big assist on this!

Bryan Hunt