1751972 Members
4539 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

DL 380 Gen 10 fan noise issue

raza1
Occasional Visitor

DL 380 Gen 10 fan noise issue

Dear all, i have installed DL 380 Gen 10 server at customer site and after 48 hours server start noise contineously and when i power drain the server issue is resolved . the same issue accours an other site on the same model . and again i follow the same way and power drain the server  and the issue was resolved. Please any one suggest what was the Issue ?

16 REPLIES 16
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL 380 Gen 10 fan noise issue

Hi,

I would suggest to update BIOS and iLO 5 firmwares to the latest.
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00038451en_us

Thank You!

I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JBCunanan

Hi There, I have the same issue, just got a new DL380 from out of the I have updated the firmware to version 1.20 fan speed as shown on ILO

Fan 1     25%  Fan 2    34%  Fan 3    43%  Fan 4 43%  Fan 5 34% and Fan 6 25%

Where as our DL980 Gen 9 has the following speed.

Fan 1     9%  Fan 2   11%  Fan 3  11%  Fan 4  14%  Fan 5  14% and Fan 6 14%

Is this normal on the Gen 10?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@JBCunanan wrote:

Hi There, I have the same issue, just got a new DL380 from out of the I have updated the firmware to version 1.20 fan speed as shown on ILO

Fan 1     25%  Fan 2    34%  Fan 3    43%  Fan 4 43%  Fan 5 34% and Fan 6 25%

Where as our DL980 Gen 9 has the following speed.

Fan 1     9%  Fan 2   11%  Fan 3  11%  Fan 4  14%  Fan 5  14% and Fan 6 14%

Is this normal on the Gen 10?

Veriify the system is set for optimal cooling in RBSU.  Has any additional hardware been added into the system?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
AlexB21

We aha similar issue with an HP DL 380 Gen 10.

It has two high end(3.6 GHz) XEON processors and I wonder if that's part of the reason.

Every few minutes the fans kick on and go full speed and are super loud. Tech support has me playing with RBSU power and thermal setting and nothing has worked so far.

If I set the power regulator settings to STATIC LOW POWER MODE then the server quiets down and everything seems good. Except as I undertand it, this decreases the server performace.  Any one have any ideas?

William_Gilroy

I Recommend setting the ā€œThermal Configurationā€ to ā€œOptimal Coolingā€ From RBSU, chose ā€œAdvanced Optionsā€ and ā€œFan and Thermal Optionsā€

Lica

Hi, 

We have the same situation. (DL380 G10)
We already updated and configured firmware by HP case, but the fan still be loudly.

Please help the issue. Thank you!

(OS: RHEL7.4, SSD 240GB*2)

jmedinaj

same issues dl380g10 high fan usage anyone get any updated info on this ?

kenbassett
Occasional Visitor

I have a similar issue and would appreciate any updates on this thread. I have a DL380 Gen 10, single Xeon gold processor, and I installed the P816i-a Storage Controller. Fans rev up periodically. Temperatures are all way below and warning threshholds. 

supermarket2019
Visitor

did u get a solution? im still troubleshooting this with hp, but havent got a solution yet.

DL380 gen10 dual Gold processors, and fan speed increase every minute or less.
Optimal cooling, max performance setting

updating to late1st bios (u30 1.50) as advised by hp support, did not solve anything.
Ilo 5 version 1.39
Innovation Engine Firmware 0.1.6.1

normal fan speed +- 17-23%, rev up every minute or less to 30-50%

all temperatures well within range.