5572 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 380 gen8 cloning HDD

aungbobo
Occasional Advisor

DL 380 gen8 cloning HDD

Hi ,

I would like to ask one problem and hope any one could help me .

I have dl230 gen8 20+ servers and planning to install win server 2008 r2. What I am plan is to create master hdd that install everything ( drivers and software ,etc..) and make cloning for the rest servers using ghost.

After I created master hdd , I did clone secondary hdd but it failed to boot up

I tried on same server that was done master hdd. Master hdd can go to windows ( boot up). only secondary ( cloned) fails.

Here is some info of my master hdd .
"logical drive - 160 GB SAS (RAID 0) is default array config"

Does it relate Array (logical volume) configuration ? As I know , without any logical drive on server it can not make OS installation. Am I Right ?

If I can not clone , I have to install individually OS on 20+ server

I appreciate any reply..

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
viniciof
Valued Contributor

Re: DL 380 gen8 cloning HDD

Hello,

I think you can create actually a Raid 1 in the first server, then just took one of hdd's out and break the mirror, insert it into the new server then add more another hdd to the new server so it should start rebuilding the data (if you want Raid 1's in all the servers).  Then insert another hdd in the first server to rebuild the data (rebuilding data is faster than install from scratch).  You can continue creating copies and using them in the other servers, at the end just add the second drive to the new server to rebuild the raid.

If you want raid 0's just create a raid 1 in the first server, then using the ACU split the mirrior into 2 Raid 0's, remove one of the drive to use it in another server, then insert another drive and re-build the mirror (this will rebuil the data in the new drive) so you'll have another copy of the first drive.  Then you can continue doing the same.

Of course, you can also use the "Deployment" utility in the Intelligent Provisioning to create a scripted installation, after that you don't have to configure the servers, just load the scrip and insert the Windows disc, it will install it with the configuration you have created.

rgds,
vf

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS Star! .....
aungbobo
Occasional Advisor

Hello Vf,

Thank you and I am very appreciated your reply ! Could you explain how to use "Deployement Utility " in the Intelligent Provisioning with scripted installation ? and how does it work ? Cos I need a shortest way to install OS for those 20+ server.

Thanks 

viniciof
Valued Contributor

Hello,

You can create a script using the Deployment utility in the Intelligent Provisioning, copy it to an USB key then to the other servers using the same utility.  At least you won't need to configure all servers, just use the script to autoconfigure gen8 servers.

Page #28:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03182305/c03182305.pdf

rgds,
vf

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS Star! .....