1752579 Members
3344 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 380 iLO questions

JoshIT
Advisor

DL 380 iLO questions

hi, I have a Proliant DL380 G4 running windows 2000 server. There is an iLO port on it and I can connect to the iLO using a browser.

But is there a way I can remotely shut down/restart the OS using iLO when the OS becomes non-responsive otherwise (via remote desktop etc)? I don't have an advance iLO license (if that's what it's called) for accessing a remote GUI session. Do I need this for above mentioned purpose? Just a console session (non GUI) which can help me do this would be more than enough.

Thanks very much.
17 REPLIES 17
NL User
Occasional Advisor

Do you mean the "Remote serial console" ?

According to this Matrix that is supported: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo2/index.html

The same with "Virtual Power", supported in Standard Editions.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

When you are in the iLO web interface you can access 'Virtual Buttons' which include a virtual power button to do power on or power off. An advanced license is not required.

You also can access a command-line interface for iLO through SSH and issue SMASH-CLP compliant commands like

stop /system1

to power off the system, or

start /system1

to power it on. Likewise, an advanced license is not required.
JoshIT
Advisor

thank you for your reply. I see that the virtual power button options do not gracefully shut down/restart the OS though.

Is there anyway I would be able to do a graceful OS shutdown via the iLO? Does the advance license offer this functionality?
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Yes Advanced Licence gives the graceful OS shutdown option. This feature is infact more of an OS dependent feature.

Option 1: Install the "ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver", this health driver is required for ilo to work along with the OS to do a graceful shutdown.

Option 2: If the above driver is not installed, then ilo will emulate a physical power button press event on the server (as if you physically pressed the power button on the server) and ask the OS to do a graceful shutdown. Now this is completely OS dependent. Whether or not a graceful shutdown happens depends on what settings you have made in the Operating system for the power button press event.

Also servers have an "Automatic Shutdown" disabling option in the RBSU or BIOS. You can make sure it is disabled for a proper graceful shutdown.
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Sangram is incorrect. The Advanced license has nothing to do with the drivers.

iLO uses ACPI signalling--exactly the same as the physical power button. Windows 2000 interprets 'momentary press' as a signal to begin shutdown. 'Press and hold' will do a hard shutdown.

Again, this has nothing to do with Advanced license.
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

David,

For your clarification, I did not mention anywhere in my post that Advanced Licence is related to the Drivers.

The first statement is just an answer to JoshIT's question "Does the advance license offer this functionality?". This is because if you have an advanced licence you get the remote console option and hence the option to do a graceful shutdown.

The two options mentioned below are independent of the first statement. They are just two options available to have graceful shutdown done.

I am attaching the screenshot from the user guide for your reference.
JoshIT
Advisor

Thanks a lot for your replies.

For the DL 380 G5, I couldn't find the "ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver" listed. However I found the "Proliant iLO2 management controller driver". Is it the same?

Anyway I did install this second one. Once it's installed and when I do the "momentary press" option on the virtual power button via iLO, it should ask the OS to initiate a shut down? I did this but nothing happens. So I am wondering whether I should have tried this same thing before installing this driver. And also, once installed is there any way I can uninstall this driver?

Thanks very much.
JoshIT
Advisor

Noting a small correction in my previous post. Though the problem was originally with a DL 380 G4, I only have a DL 360 (no, it's not 380)G5 now to test stuff with. The others are production servers.

So I was looking for an advanced management controller driver for DL 360 G5.

Thanks.
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Is it Windows 2000 still? Or a different OS? Also mention 32 bit / 64 bit if different OS.