6103 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 380 iLO questions

Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

If you are using Windows 2003 try the drivers below:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-d452806af4b64d6580532fdfcd&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

And as posted earlier, check the "power button" configuration in the OS for the server and also make sure the "Automatic Shutdown" option in BIOS is also disabled.

Thanks,
Sangram
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
JoshIT
Advisor

It's windows 2003 now. I downloaded the driver from the link you gave, but it doesn't install. It says "The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system." So I guess this won't work with the DL 360?

The iLO 2 firmware etc is up to date. The power button in the OS is configured to 'shut down'.

Thanks!

Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Please provide me the following details:

Are you having an Advanced Licence at the moment?

Let me know the exact process you follow to create a shutdown event through iLO.

Thanks !!
JoshIT
Advisor

hi, Thanks for your reply.

Yesterday I went ahead and downloaded an advanced license evaluation and installed the same. So yes, now I do have an advanced license. And once again, it's on a DL 360 G5 running 32 bit windows 2003 server.

However I haven't been able to get/install the advanced management controller driver on this because of the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

Anyway, so I connect to this machine's iLO2 IP address (via https) and under power management, i do the 'momentary press' on the virtual power button. The iLO logs says "power off signal sent to host"..but nothing happens. In the OS's power options, it is set to shut down when the power button is pressed. I couldn't yet check any BIOS settings because the machine is at a remote location. Can I access the BIOS when I restart the machine and have a remote console open via iLO2?

So this is the procedure I follow.
Thanks!!

Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Yes, you can access the server BIOS (RBSU) through iLO2 remote console.
JoshIT
Advisor

I accessed the BIOS via the remote console, but I don't see an 'automatic shutdown' option at all. There is a 'power button' option there, but that is already enabled.

After the restart, I again did the 'momentary press' option (via iLO web interface) but the server doesn't want to shut down. It just stays up. What else am I missing?

Maybe windows needs the 'press and hold' option to initiate it's ACPI shutdown functionality? Also, now that I do have the advanced license what has changed as far as a remote shutdown of the server (via iLO) is concerned?

Thank you very much.
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Doing a press & hold will not perform graceful shutdown. It is like doing a force shutdown when server freezes.

Also Advanced License just gives you an option of remote console (GUI) to perform remote shutdown. It does not change anything as such.

I still feel it is a configuration issue:
Try the following in BIOS (each at a time):
1. Disable ASR and check.
2. Disable Automatic power-on.
3. Disable Power Button also and check.
JoshIT
Advisor

well, I tried everything. Finally it turns out that I need to be logged in to the windows 2003 console for this (momentary press) to work. That's all it takes.

Not sure if it's only applicable to windows 2003 though.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help/suggestions.