cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL-380 loadbalance teaming

DL-380
Occasional Visitor

DL-380 loadbalance teaming

I have established SLB teaming successfully, but when I start to transfer files, I can only see one NIC is transferring and the other is idle. Could anyone tell me how to balance the loading? I have also trunk the ports of Procurve 2900 with LACP.

Thanks,
1 REPLY
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: DL-380 loadbalance teaming

Virtually all of the packet scheduling algorithms I have seen for teaming/bonding/aggregation are such that the packets for a single "flow" will always take the same link in the team/bond/aggregate.

A "flow" is then variously defined as all the traffic to a given MAC/Ethernet address or to a given IP address to to a given TCP port number (probably also plus IP address).

All those cases mean that a single stream/connection will make use of the services of only one link in the team/bond/aggregate. By design.

The one exception I have seen is the "mode_rr" in Linux bonding. That mode is quite content to scatter the TCP segments across all the links. It will generally result in a single TCP connection going faster than a single link, but it comes at the price of getting TCP segments out of order. That results in additional ACKnowledgements and additional CPU util, and if there are enough links in the bond can trigger a "fast retransmit" and do bad things to the congestion window.

Also, on the receiving side, it will be the switch and the policies set/enforced there which will determine on which link or links the traffic will enter the system. So, you would need a similar mode on the switch.

I don't know which switches offer the round-robbin mode, nor if Windows teaming does that. As you might gather from the tone of my wording, I'm not terribly fond of round-robin :) and feel that if one needs a single stream to go faster, either make it more than one stream, or get the next-speed-up NIC.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows