1748123 Members
3410 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 385 G2 + Reboot Hangs

YORK_1
Frequent Advisor

DL 385 G2 + Reboot Hangs

I have a DL385 G2 (brand new). When I reboot from a remote session the reboot hangs at the Smart Array P400 Controller line (after finding drives). The reboot (software) is normally issued.

When I go up to the server room and hit any key the reboot finishes normally. I could not find an option that seemed a likely candidate to tweak.

When I try and reboot at the actual KVM it seems to work fine.

Any help greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

I believe this is a ilo firmware version issue related to version 1.42. The work around is to roll back to 1.35.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1177653&admit=109447626+1201660660549+28353475
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
YORK_1
Frequent Advisor

I've read the following links before, this problem is WAAAAY before the pick an OS section.

In fact, the solution mostly for the ilo firmware is to remove the /redirect switch and the redirect= line from the boot.ini.

The problem is that normally where you would watch the array controller spin the "\" and find and initialize drives, it just stops there after finding drives.. then you hit any key and progress continues ...

I'll keep looking.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

which firmware does the p400 have?

also try clear NVRAM

""
1. Power down the server.
2. Remove the server cover.
3. Locate the System Maintenance Switch 7, position S6, and move the switch to the "On" position.
4. Power the server back on until Power-On Self-Test begins.
5. After POST has started, power-cycle the server off.
6. Move the System Maintenance Switch back to the "Off" position.
7. Replace the server cover and power on the system. The server will boot normally.
""

- something else would be reseat controller

Regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
YORK_1
Frequent Advisor

Okay - I've debugged this situation to the fact that if the KVM (shared) is not actually on the server rebooting then it will stop. If you keep the console on the rebooting server in questions - reboots occur fine.

Very strange - is there an option to ignore all keyboard, video, mouse errors on bootup?

Thanks - very close now ...
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Yes I agree it's a KVM-issue.
I once encounterd a situation where one of the (keyboard)connectors was not properly in place. The connected device (pc-workstation) actually gave a ""disk-0 not pressent" error message.

It took me a long time to detect that a faulty keyboard connection can make an internal harddisk disappear. Sho check the keyboard/mouse cables, especialy those to the other connected servers!

It must be something in the keyboard emulation that the kvm-switch does that interferes with the detection of bootable drives. Maybe a firmware update of the kvm-switch can improve on this.