DL 385 G7 with dual 10g sfp card can't upload more than 11.5 Gbps

mehr1367
Occasional Contributor

DL 385 G7 with dual 10g sfp card can't upload more than 11.5 Gbps

Dear community

We have a HP dl385 g7 with following spec:
CPU: AMD Opteron 6234 x2
RAM: 8G x10
HDD: Samsung 2TB EVO 860 x 7 + (250GB x 1)
Network Card: intel x520 dp sfp+

Based on HP manual for dl385 g7 maximum storage of SFF SATA is 6.4 TB but we are using about 14TB HDD. we host a movie download website with high trafic of 14Gbps. The upload speed in Cacti doesn't go more than 10.5 Gb and it is capped at that value. Can you help us to see which of hardwares caused this limit? It seems that more HDD usage than HP manual doesn't cause any trouble and the manual just stated that as a suggestion. We also add another 10G card and used port channeling to use one port of each card independantly. The result was better but only increased the upload speed to 11.5 Gbps.

Tnx 

2 REPLIES 2
ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Re: DL 385 G7 with dual 10g sfp card can't upload more than 11.5 Gbps

Hi there, 

It seems like the SSDs and intel x520 dp sfp+ are third party hardware components. 

Hence we would not be able to comment on the performance that these components can exhibit unless genuine HPE hardware is installed. 

Regards,

Shruthi (HPE Employee)

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
mehr1367
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL 385 G7 with dual 10g sfp card can't upload more than 11.5 Gbps

I think the problem is caused by SATA 2 hard drive ports of G7. The Samsung EVO 860 has SATA 3 technology. So without any RAID setting the network upload speed will be 3 Gbps in worst case and 21 Gbps in luckiest case (when all 7 SSD drives are being read at 3Gb speed). By using RAID 0, the reading speed will be increased but i dont know how much when having 7 drives in array. The maximum 11.5 Gbps limit is probably because of this SATA 2 limit.