1753449 Members
6633 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL/ML cloning

Fab_3
Frequent Advisor

DL/ML cloning

I've some DL380 to install with same configuration hardware (processor, memory, controller 5Si and two 36GB disk in RAID1)
At the end of installation (W2K), after shutdown server and i tried to move a disk (remember is in RAID 1) to another DL380 but, obviously, don't start. There is a solutions for configure 5Si controller so it can read disk (and i clone many servers) ?
Many thanks in advance for your help
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Did you place the drive in the same slot as you took it from?

Assuming you have 2 drives..
in bay 0 and 1 on a DL380 (this is a G2 or better)
Server 1:
empty5 empty3 drive1
empty4 empty2 drive0

take out drive1 and place in
Server 2:
empty5 empty3 drive1
empty4 empty2 empty0

For the 5i to read the configuration, the drive usually needs to be in it's original location otherwise the 5i thinks that you want to make a new array.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh well, you are trying to do 'drive roaming' with a reduced disk array. That is not a supported operation.

There are some situations like putting the disk drive into the same slot number as Steven has suggested, but if that works, consider it pure luck.

Apart from that, as far as I know, each server in a Windows network must have a unique SID that is somewhere stored in the registry. I think Microsoft now provides a utility to reassign a new SID.
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

I would not consider it luck.

I have very often cloned a machine by breaking a mirror and moving one drive to another box (as close to identical hardware as possible of course).

You will have to observe slot numbers as has been pointed out. In order to avoid any issues created by the SID (which will be the same) I have the cloned box of the network physically.

I then sysprep the machine which basically makes the machien unique again. Rolls the SID etc and runs a mini-setup.

You can of course just use SIDGEN.EXE, but I don't think this is as clean as sysprep.

Cheers
why?