5334 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL110 G7 Raid 1 change disks

Urdan
Occasional Contributor

DL110 G7 Raid 1 change disks

Hello!

I have a DL110 G7 whith a B110i array controller. I have 2 SATA 250 Gb disks in Raid 1, with Windows Server 2012 Foundation. I want to update  with 2 Evo 860 1Tb disks. What is the best option not to reinstall all?

I read there are 2 options:

1- Change one disk a try to rebuild the data with the other disk, pressing F1 when the Server is Powering. If I do it, the array is updated with the new disk? If I do it for two times, I can change 2 disks, but can I recover the unsized space to use all the 1Tb space instead of 250Gb? 

2- Change 2 disks and create a new array with new disks. Then, try to use some clone software to recover all. Someone do it? Is secure to do it? what is the best software to clone Windows Server 2012 in Raid 1? If I do it and have any problem running the system, what┬┤s happens when I put old disk?? the system recognized then and start or I must to do something ?? I am afraid if the system not running and I insert old disks, because I think I must to make a new array, and if a do it... all the data is going to be erased.

Thanks!!

2 REPLIES 2
Urdan
Occasional Contributor

I have another question....

How can I update Firmware of Array controler and the system bios??? Is any way to dowload the newer Firmwares and update this with any software installed in the server??

Pra_Sah
HPE Pro

Hello Urdan,

Thank you for your query.

Please find our response:-

1- Change one disk a try to rebuild the data with the other disk, pressing F1 when the Server is Powering. If I do it, the array is updated with the new disk? If I do it for two times, I can change 2 disks, but can I recover the unsized space to use all the 1Tb space instead of 250Gb?

Answer:- Therotically it is possible. However, when we swap the drive, we are mixing a conventional Drive and SSD drive which is going to cause performance limitation, as the controller will work as per the speed of the slowest Drive.

Also Evo 860 1Tb disks are non HPE disks , so we cannot connot comment on the Behaviour of this disks with conventional Drives.

Change 2 disks and create a new array with new disks. Then, try to use some clone software to recover all. Someone do it? Is secure to do it? what is the best software to clone Windows Server 2012 in Raid 1? If I do it and have any problem running the system, what┬┤s happens when I put old disk?? the system recognized then and start or I must to do something ?? I am afraid if the system not running and I insert old disks, because I think I must to make a new array, and if a do it... all the data is going to be erased

Answer:- We would recommend to create a new array with the new disks. However being a part of the Hardware Team, we cannot comment on the Cloning softwares as we do not provide any such software for customers.

Regards,

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo