4765 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL120 G6 > Setup RAID

Mark Meelhuysen2
Occasional Advisor

DL120 G6 > Setup RAID

Hello,

We received our new DL120 G6. We want to set it up with 4 HDD's in RAID.
When I enter the BIOS I have 4 options for the setup of the integrated SATA controller, inspite of the 2 mentioned in the Maintenance and Service Guide: Compliant, AHCI, RAID and Disabled. Whichever one I select, the RAID setup does not appear when starting up. So we are not able to setup RAID.

Anyone any idea's?

Hope someone can help me out.

Mark
10 REPLIES 10
ab_server
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL120 G6 > Setup RAID

According to that document, if RAID function is not installed in your server, you should download the latest driver/firmware.

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-bbb4f7fcf9bc4ade&softwareId=MTX_7ab5e4a654fe499b876958a0ef

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor

I don't have a DL120 G6, but if it's using the same firmware-based RAID as the other ProLiant 100's, the User Guide says you have to set the drive boot order in addition to setting the controller to RAID mode:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c01706551

4. Select SATA Configuration or Hard Drive Configuration.
5. Change SATA #1 to RAID.
6. Return to the previous screen by pressing the Escape key.
7. Select the Boot Menu by pressing the right arrow key.
8. Select Hard Disk Drives.
9. To assign the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller as the boot controller, set Ctrl 1 to Embedded RAID.

Then "F8" during boot should bring up the ROM-based ACU.

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

Mark Meelhuysen2
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

I already updated the firmware to the latest. I should mention it is a G6, not a G5.
When I enter the RSBU and go into the Advanced tab, I can go to Harddisk configuration. There I can choose for : Compliant, AHCI, RAID and disabled. I cannot setup RAID on the first harddisk, nor the others. By choosing either one mentioned option (Raid, etc) of them and rebooting the system i do not get the possibility to enter the raidconfig by pressing F8.
The specs clearly show me that the controller is RAID capable. But i did not manage to get it configured though..

Looked everywhere, al the documentation, tried every combination I could think of, but i just cant find it. It seems like my server is missing some features the documentation mention.
Hope someone can help me out here.
alex_sun
Frequent Advisor

DL120 G6 Integrated 6 Port SATA (4 ports available for hard disks) , is no array function , if need raid , add Smart Array P212 Controller.
Mark Meelhuysen2
Occasional Advisor

But when I read the specs:

SATA Non-Hot Plug 3.5" Midline (MDL) Drives
Quantity
Supported
Position
Supported Controller
750GB 3G SATA 7.2K
500GB 3G SATA 7.2K
250GB 3G SATA 7.2K
Up to 2 1-2 6 Port SATA controller with Embedded RAID

SATA Mode Selection
Select whether to enable the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) function of the SATA controller.
├в ┬в Enhanced ├в The SATA controller enables AHCI. The RAID function (if available) will also be enabled. The RAID setup utility will be accessible during boo-up.
├в ┬в Compatible ├в The SATA controller disables both AHCI and RAID functions and runs in the IDE emulation mode.
Note: For operating systems that do not have native AHCI support, install the proper device driver first before enabling AHCI.
alex_sun
Frequent Advisor

"Enhanced ├в The SATA controller enables AHCI. The RAID function (if available) will also be enabled. The RAID setup utility will be accessible during boo-up. "
This note "if available" , is mean if have , but the dl120g6 embedded sata controller is no array function.
Mark Meelhuysen2
Occasional Advisor

I had contact with HP. The QuickSpecs and DL120 G6 overview statet that the embedded SATA controller was RAID Capable. This information was wrong and HP confirmed this. So I have an answer to my question. Thank you al for thinking with me.

Mark
Mark Meelhuysen2
Occasional Advisor

Contacted HP.
Moon4Free

I just got a suggestion from HP to enable RAID functionality on DL120 G6 as below.

To enable RAID on DL120G6 on Windows 2008 Server R2, customers need to download and install the latest System ROM and Storage Driver, enable B110i on RBSU and re-configure HDD via ACU or ORCA.

Here are links to each drivers to download and install:

1. System ROM version: 2010.01.26
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-95126d9322694705&softwareId=MTX_3f3d16d1235e4896a7063b9d5e

2. Windows drivers version: 6.10.0.x
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-3683eb7f6bcb42d0&softwareId=MTX_7303fd2b60fe493bb49a29aa39

Will try tomorrow....

[Moderator edit: Updated the links.]