ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752616 Members
4839 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL120 G7 with B110i board. 2 Drives (517350-001) not seen.

SOLVED
Go to solution
OregonKev
Occasional Visitor

DL120 G7 with B110i board. 2 Drives (517350-001) not seen.

New server.

Plugged in drives, no option for Array Configuration.

Only using 2 drives, neither are seen.

I can access the system using ILO from another machine and get a warning that the drives are not configured.

I have downloaded many drivers that I can try and load from running the Server 2008 R2 install disc, this just prompts me to get updated drivers from the manufacturer.

What am I doing wrong or not doing at all?

i can post more information in the morning.

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, where do you get the warning? In POST? And there's no button to press to enter the RAID configuration? Maybe you need to enable it in BIOS.

Here is the user guide for the B110i:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01706551/c01706551.pdf

It says that you should get an option to enter the ORCA CLI during POST.
Apparently ACU should work with this card, so smartstart might be an idea or if there's an offline ACU CD for this server.

Driver should be this one:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5075937&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=5075933&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4064#113214
OregonKev
Occasional Visitor

During POST I do not get the F8 option for entering ORCA, the only F8 option is to enter ILO.

If I let it go through POST with the Server 2008 R2 install disc loaded I can get to the start of the Microsoft installer, at this point it asks me to install drivers as it can't see any drives. I can browse to my USB key where I have downloaded all of the drivers, including the driver you link to in your post, but it will not display a windows compatible driver.

I can uncheck the hide incompatible drivers option and select the driver that then displays for the B110i but this does not work. The drivers will not see the drives or the controller.

I have tried this with just one drive installed, with SATA options in BIOS set to RAID, AHCI and Legacy.

I have tried this with both drives installed and BIOS options as above.

When trying all of the above I have access to the ILO through my machine, the IML log gives me the following error;

POST Error: 1785-Drive Array not Configured

If i go to System Information/Drives tab I can see drives 1 and 2 showing as OK.

ILO firmware is currently 1.26, August 26th 2011

I have booted it with the offline ACU cd and I can select the Smart Array B110i SATA RAID in Embedded Slot, this shows with a yellow exclamation. The warning status message has a code 267 with the following;

There are no configurable physical drives attached to the current array controller.

If this controller is being used as a host controller for tape devices only, please disregard this warning.

If this controller is being used as a host controller for an external controller the physical drives attached to the external controller will only be visible by selecting the external controller.

If the controller is not being used as a host controller one of the following could cause the problem.

There are no supported drives attached to the controller.

A data cable has a bad connection.

Two or more drives have duplicate SCSI IS's.

Power to the external drives is off.

The OS array controller driver is missing.

I am thinking it is the last option!

Is there a way to load the controller driver from boot?

Thanks in advance for any help with this, it has been driving me crazy for hours.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

"There are no configurable physical drives attached to the current array controller."

The controller B110i does not see any disks.

Check cables etc.

// edit, wold be my assumption  but .. do you have more than one controller installed?

OregonKev
Occasional Visitor
Solution

After many hours i have finally discovered that the B110i controller board does not support SAS drives, only SATA. A nice small one liner on page 6 of the guide. Thanks now go to Ingram Micro for selling me these and saying that they will work in the server we just purchased from them.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I now need to hassle them to see if they will take them back opened and send some SATA drives.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

wow, sneaky stuff!