1752739 Members
5631 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL120 Kickstart Centos 4.8 and 5.3

jbb010
Occasional Visitor

DL120 Kickstart Centos 4.8 and 5.3

I have been trying to kickstart a new DL120 on CentOS4.8 with no success, and also CentOS5.3. The OS seems to load fine, it finds all the necessary drivers, but when it reboots, all I get is a blank screen instead of the OS spashscreen.

The server is thousands of miles away, therefore I have no physical access. I have it booting on the serial console through an ACS32 console server.

We have no issues at all with the DL360's and we are using the same kickstart scenario for the DL120.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior ?

Thanks,

Barry

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

what model Dl120? G7?  What controller the embedded b110 SATA, or does it have another Smart Array controller? Any other disk devices ie. USB keys or fibre channel? 

I have seen this issue on system that use both the cciss Smart Array driver and another device that appears as sdN. Anaconda wants to install the boot loader to the sdN device instead of the cciss device

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
jbb010
Occasional Visitor

DL120 G6.  It has a Smart Array controller which I have enabled in the BIOS. No other disk devices.

There are 2 250GB disks set up as raid1 and I'm seeing what you mentioned. Instead of cciss, it appears that

only sda is being used. I'm pretty sure I have the raid controller set up correctly, yet it only seems to be using the first disk.

Our DL360's dont have this problem, the cciss devices are set up correctly.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If your using the embedded SATA controller, that's not the same as a hardware based Smart Array that uses cciss. The embedded SATA RAID controller requires a special driver for the RAID function to work and notmally shows up as /dev/sdN instead of /dev/cciss/c0d0. Without the special driver the OS will see each disk as a stand alone drive

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!