1748093 Members
6105 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL140: 2 servers freezes and then very difficult to boot

jackyboy

DL140: 2 servers freezes and then very difficult to boot

hello,

I have about 15 servers from which 3 are DL140 machines. with 2 of them I have surious problems. The symptoms are the same. They run for about one month (average) without problems and then freezes. When I arrive at the frozen server(s), I see the desktop and the clock is coming to an halt at the time the server was frozen. In such an occasion, you can't do anything... the mouse doesn't move, Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't react... The only thing you can do is hold the power button for 5 seconds to poweroff the machine. And then ... if you think the server will boot up ...forget it. You have to try to reboot for several times before the OS partition is "seen".

During poweron, during the hardware check, the harddisk are detected and appear in the hardware overview, but at the moment when it must boot from the OS partition, it says "no OS found". If you try several times, you might be lucky and it boots. when it does, the server will run again for some period of time.

As i mentioned earlier, I have 2 such servers. I always use branded non-hotplug SATA disks such as maxtor or WD. In the first case, no raid controller is present, disk1 is maxtor and disk2 is WD. In the second server, there's a raid controller, 2 WD harddisk in RAID0.
The off thing is here, the raid controller sees the 2 harddisk displaying it as 1 logical drive but no boot (no OS found). Also here, trying several times will lead to successful boot.

any ideas ?

thnx

3 REPLIES 3
jackyboy

Re: DL140: 2 servers freezes and then very difficult to boot

forgot to mention that after being able to boot up the server again, the only thing mentioned in the System Event is //the previous shutdown at "time of freeze" was unexpected//
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Jackboy,

I will start with updating all the Firmwares & drivers on the server. Are we talking about a DL140 G3 Server ? This server has a new BIOS firmware released very recently.

:) Regards.
jackyboy

one server is G2 and one server is G3.
Both servers support non-hotplug sata harddisks. One thing I have to mention about this is that I used non HP harddisk such as Maxtor and WD. I have been wondering if I would change them with HP harddisks ?

About the firmware: you're are right, there's a new firmware released recently which is not yet apllied to this server. I'll do it tonight. Otherwise, all drivers are up to date.