108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL140 Automatic Shutdown?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

DL140 Automatic Shutdown?

What conditions will trigger an automatic shutdown on a DL140 G1?

Temperature threshholds in specific. We have a server installed in a very cold location (doesn't seem like it would be a problem) but the server keeps powering down on its own. Trying to determine a reason.

(Going on site would be the obvious solution, but won't be able to do that for a few days).
9 REPLIES 9
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL140 Automatic Shutdown?

Hi,

There are total 5 fan in system. Where as hard to tell exact. What is the frequency of restart on the server. Check with daignostics on the server.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

So far, the shutdowns have been occurring approximately 24hrs apart.

Unfortuantely, the DL140 G1 doesn't provide too much in the way of remote diagnostics (no IPMI, ILO, etc).

Any way to remotely assess the status of this server? OS is Red Hat.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

for remote admin on linux i am not good at it please post on this might be help.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=118

Yes IML is not there i agree otherwise it would have been a help
Where you can check with management agent for the same.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/101_5771.html

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Thanks again for the responses.

I see in the DL140G1 documentation that the operating temperature range is 50 - 95 degrees F. The server at this location is *certainly* getting well below 50 degrees F.

I'm trying to verify that the DL140G1's behavior in this situation might be to automatically power off.

Currently, when it powers off I am able to send it a WoL from another server and it powers right back on, so I do not believe it is crashing.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Ray,

If you do have to go onsite to look at this then have a look at the IPMI Event log. You access this from the BIOS of the DL140 (Press DEL key during POST when prompted). The log will report errors, especially if you have fan or CPU problems.

This should at least point you in the right direction if the log has recent entries which tie up with the times of your power-downs.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Natasha L.
Advisor

We had this same issue where our DL140s kept powering down, seemingly at random. It turned out to be a firmware bug, and upgrading the firmware solved the problem.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Natashs,

Anything under logs have checked as suggested by Brian in above post. Any information.

while server was restarting which BIOS version you have been using.

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Since this thread got bumped...

I've taken steps to keep the temperature above 50 (on the server itself) at this location. Haven't had any crashes since then.

If I ever do I will check the IPMI log--although this server is many hours away from me, so it's not always practical to do so.
gilbert Francia

Hi,

We have random shutdown too. We still in a loong way solving this issue with DL140 G1. However, Natashs message about the firmware can shed a light. Natashs or whoever can help, do you know what firmware version is this ?

Please, please response.