ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753443 Members
4889 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G2 BSOD "Hardware Malfunction"

Stephane Gagne

DL140 G2 BSOD "Hardware Malfunction"

Running Windows server 2003 STD SP1 with ISA 2004 and I'm getting a blue screen with only "Hardware malfunction, contact your hardware manufacturer" as warning. Nothing in the event viewer. Any tips how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Randy1
Occasional Advisor

Stephane,

I would start by downloading this utility (HP Insight Diagnostic Offline Edition) found here: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23182.html

This utility will check hardware.

Does this happen often? I would also try to get the stop code is possible.

Good luck
Stephane Gagne

Hi Randy,

I already downloaded and run this offline diagnostic without any success.

At this time, it has occured twice since the server is in prod (3 weeks ago). I'm unable to get any other informations from logs or whatever. No code appear in the blue screen (as you can see in attachment).

Any other idea?

Thanks for your help.
Problem Child

Hi Stephane,
i have had exactly the same problem as you have. I was wondering what the fix was, if you ever fixed it? Its driving me mad my friend. your help would be ery much appreciated.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

I have seen this issue before and most of times that is caused by a PCI Card. Try removing third party hardware or PCI devices, if you have other PCI storage controllers or NICs remove them from the server and try.
Problem Child

ok guys, i think i cracked it. I took memory out of server, it was 4 x 512 pc2-3200 and i put it into a proliant ML370 G4 tower server(which supports same memory). I ran diags and hey presto it failed and even shut down and rebooted with a critical error on the start up screen, this happened a few times. I was running all 4 dimms in server, so i decided to put only 2 in at a time and test it, in the end i found the faulty memory module. it was strange that it never happend like that in the DL140 G2 that i had, only got the BSOD with hardware error. Hope it helps guys cos this one had me in tears...only joking, im not that sad...haha!!