1748139 Members
4132 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G2 OS Install with RAID Controller

Doug Null
Occasional Contributor

DL140 G2 OS Install with RAID Controller

New Server.. No smartstart cd available :( HP sez, just load OS CD and off you go. yea right....... I have the HP RAID controller option with RAID1 config and needed to use a mfg supplied floppy drive in A: to install. Without this, OS Setup did not recognize a valid storage media. So I hooked up an Iomage USB floppy drive, OS Setup recogized controller, 'loaded' driver from a: and continued on to Windows Setup process. Here is what is the kicker... After the OS has already initally recognized the controller and Drive and after I have created and formatted a partion using OS setup on the drive and during the file copy portion of the setup, I receive another message asking for the same Raid controller driver via floppy again. At this point in the setup process, It does not recognize the USB FLoppy and I am unable to continue past this section. I am using 2000 Server SP4 slipstreamed CD. What am I missing here ??????
Doug
6 REPLIES 6
Dennis_170

Having the same problem. Using an Iomage USB floppy. Is the Iomage the problem?
Also using the txtsetup

Doug Null
Occasional Contributor

I think it has everything to do with the IOMega USB. I circumvented this problem by adding the Adaptec SCSI Raid driver to a CD Installation using instructions at http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm and a slipstream program named Autostream to created a iso image of the modifies CD files
Doug
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Did the server come with Support CD? for Install
Doug Null
Occasional Contributor

The server does have a support CD with Drivers for Chipset, SCSI/Raid and NIC but is not bootable like the traditinal smartstarts.
Doug
e4services
Honored Contributor

What we have done is to now search for the driver it needs again. You can find it in the Windows directory. Otherwise put the drivers on a CD and use that at this point in the process.
Anther option is to install everything on one drive attached to the onboard SCSI controller. Once installed, move the drive to the RAID controller as RAID 0, but do nothing to 'initialize' the drive (do not format). Once that boots once, add the second drive and migrate to RAID 1
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Bart Hirst
Occasional Contributor

I just installed windows 2003 server in a scsi DL140 G2 and did not have to supply a driver. OS Install recognized the raid array with no probs.

Bart