1753766 Members
5792 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G2 SATA Mirroring in Windows 2000 Adv. Server

dkb

DL140 G2 SATA Mirroring in Windows 2000 Adv. Server

Greetings,

Since installing this machine, I have had nothing but trouble. I have two 250GB SATA drives that I want to setup with software mirroring. However, the system keeps claiming that the fault tolerance has failed. I reactivate the drives, and it works again for a while, but inevitably, it fails again.
I suspect it may be due to the fact that there is no true SATA controller driver from HP for this device. Microsoft has a few answers, but all seem to stem from incorrect drivers.

Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work? Let me know your secret.

DKB
8 REPLIES 8
mark_283
Honored Contributor

Windows 2000 set up soft RAID1
RAID1 all drive must dynamic disk├г
Run├в Computer Management MMC├в ├п┬╝
select├в Disk Management├в ├п┬╝
chick mouse right key on disk partition.select pop-up menu├в Add Mirror├в ├п┬╝
├й ├ж ┬й├й ├е ├з ├д┬╕┬╗├з ├п┬╝ ├з ┬╢├е ├е ├е ┬╗├в Add Mirror├в ├п┬╝
├е┬ж ├ж ├и┬ж ├й ├е ├е┬╝ ├е┬п┬╝├е ├е ┬║├п┬╝ ├е ├е ┬║├з ┬░├д┬╕ ├д┬╕┬к├е┬п┬╣├и┬п ├ж┬б ├п┬╝ ├е ┬╢├д┬╕┬н├е ├е ┬║├д┬║ ├ж┬┐ ├ж┬┤┬╗├й ├е ├е┬╝ ├е┬п┬╝├й ├и┬ж ├ж ┬з├и┬б ├з ├д┬┐┬о├ж ┬╣├з┬╗ ├и ├п┬╝ ├е ├е ┬╗OK├г
Mirror├з┬╗ ├е┬░ ├ж ┬╛├з┬д┬║├д┬╕┬║regenerating├г
├и┬ж ├е  ├й ┬д├й ├е ├п┬╝ ├д┬╝ ├е┬п┬╝├и ┬┤├ж ┬░├ж ┬о├д┬╕┬в├е┬д┬▒├п┬╝ ├е  ├ж┬н┬д├е┬║ ├д┬┐ ├з ├д┬╕┬д├д┬╕┬к├е ├з ┬м├з ├е ┬╖├д┬╜ ├д┬╕┬║├ж ┬░├ж ┬о├е┬д ├д┬╗┬╜├г ├е  ├й ┬дRAID1├з ├ж┬н┬е├й┬к┬д├е┬ж ├д┬╕ ├п┬╝
├и┬┐ ├и┬б ├в Computer Management MMC├в ├п┬╝
├е┬░ Storage├е ├ж ┬п├е┬▒ ├е┬╝ ├п┬╝ ├й ├ж ┬йDisk Management├п┬╝
├е ┬│├е ┬╗├и┬ж ├е  ├й ┬д├з ├й ├е ├е ┬╖├п┬╝ ├з ┬╢├е ├д┬╗ ├е┬╝┬╣├е ┬║├й ├е ├д┬╕┬н├й ├ж ┬йBreak Mirror├п┬╝
├е ├е ┬╗Yes├з┬б┬о├и┬о┬д├п┬╝
├е ├е ┬╗├и┬н┬ж├е ├е┬п┬╣├и┬п ├ж┬б ├д┬╕┬н├з Yes├г
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Post the size of mirroring partitions.
dkb

First, thank you both for responding.

Mark,
For some reason, your response came accross garbled. I am not able to read most of it. Please attempt to post it again.

Ruslan,
The partition size is maxed out to the drive size, 250GB. What is happening is that W2K server is returning a message claiming that the drive has been 'removed'. Again, I suspect that the driver is not communicating the controllers commands 100% properly.

Thanks again to both of you,
DKB
mark_283
Honored Contributor

sorry My English is not good, hoped you can understood. post again

Setup RAID1 in Windows 2000
Is same with the RAID5 group, RAID1 volume collection all members all must be located on the dynamic disk. Founds the RAID1 step as follows:
Movement "Computer Management MMC";
Launches the Storage branch, choice "Disk Management";
Right strikes the hope to carry out the mirror image district, then from springs chooses in the list to choose "Add Mirror";
The choice mirror image main disk, then single-clicks "Add Mirror";
If wants the mirror image boot partition, then appears a dialog box, in which has listed the revision detail which the activation mirror image guidance needs to carry out, single-clicks OK.
The Mirror group the demonstration will be regenerating.
Must delete the mirror image, can cause the data missing, therefore should retain two independent volumes to take the data backup. Deletes RAID1 as follows the step:
Movement "Computer Management MMC";
Launches the Storage branch, chooses Disk Management;
Right strikes the mirror image volume which must delete, then from springs chooses in the list to choose Break Mirror;
Single-clicks the Yes confirmation;
Single-clicks in the warning dialog box Yes.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

At first, check the latest drivers. There is HOST-RAID capability in DL140G2. Check BIOS setup > Advanced
* Enable or disable RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) function for SATA devices.
* Enable or disable the SATA RAID function

I purpose, that there is must be configuration utility, that can create HARDWARE raid in OS environment.
dkb

Once again, thanks to both of you for your quick responses. I have attached the text of the System event log regarding the drive. Maybe one of you can see something that I am missing.

Mark,

I have been running exactly what you are proposing since day one. The problem is that for some reason, Windows thinks that the drive has defects, and then it times out. I ran tools from the manufacturer, and a deep scan found no errors. Again, I suspect that the lack of a proper SATA driver may be the reason.

Ruslan,

As I stated above, HP does not provide a driver for this controller. Windows is using the Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller driver, which is designed for IDE, not SATA. I did look through all the BIOS settings, but could find no reference to any RAID settings, even in advanced.

Thanks again to both of you for your efforts.

DKB
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

This controller is form LSI
You can get driver from LSI for SATA

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
dkb

Prashant S.,

I believe you are refering to the HP Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID controller, which indeed is from LSI. According to several web sites, including Novell and HP, the DL140G2 uses an imbedded Intel 82801ER (ICH5R) controller. I spoke with tech support at HP, and they did not have an answer to my problem. They claim that using the Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Controller driver should work okay. I suspect that with the overall speed of this system, the incorrect driver (non-SATA) may not be communicating properly with regards to timeout issues. That may explain why it THINKS that the drive has a defect, when the deep scan shows none.

Thank You,
DKB