108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G3 Embedded SATA RAID Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
COLIN MITTON
Occasional Advisor

DL140 G3 Embedded SATA RAID Problem

I have setup a RAID 1 array using 2 x 250GB drives supplied by HP. I have set them up as per the instructions found on the support page for this model.

Windows Server 2003 (again brought with the server) does not see the array when I go to install it.

I realised I need to add the RAID array drivers and as I dont have a floppy drive I tried to use a USB key, this was not recognised! I then went on to do a bit of digging on the net... first I downloaded the HP tool to make a USB Key a Floppy driver my only problem being I dont have an .img file to for fill this! Second I tried to use Nlite to add the driver to the setup CD, this part worked and I checked on the CD to see the driver there. When I came to use the CD either Pressing F6 to specify or letting it boot and setup normally did not work!

Where am I going wrong? HELP!
7 REPLIES 7
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Colin,

there is one more known workaround for that kind of instalation (no need of floppy or nlite):

Install the OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled (No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.

Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

COLIN MITTON
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I'm going to try that now...

I'll let you know how its gone.

Thanks
COLIN MITTON
Occasional Advisor

I have tried the above solution and that failed.

After doing what was suggested the Server 2003 screen appear to start off booting then Blue Screen of Death and rebooted.

I disable the array controller and booted again, wondows server 2003 started and when I went to the hardware listing the array drivers were in the list. I tried to start the unit with the controller running but no array setup and that did not work.

Any other suggestions? I'm starting tio think maybe the controller driver is not correct. I tried the one with the disk provided with the server and the one from the download site?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

this is he driver you need for th onboard SATa controler :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1842838&swItem=MTX-52475fe402f14d2c94196e955b&mode=4&idx=0

you can check under Enhancements - added support for DL140 G3.

You use this driver?

Actually with nlite installation this should work. You will not require to press F6, the install should find the drivers alone if you embedded it.

Pac
COLIN MITTON
Occasional Advisor

Hooray! that driver worked with the nLite software, Finally I'm installing windows Server :)

Thanks PAC, that driver worked! saved me a few CD's as was working through the list on the RAID drivers for that servers download page!!

Thanks for everyones help.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Glad to hear that!
COLIN MITTON
Occasional Advisor

Once I had the right driver the nLite soplution worked, I would recommend this way with out a doubt.