5531 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G3 RAID

ldoodle
Frequent Advisor

DL140 G3 RAID

Hello,

I have just ordered 9 DL140 G3 servers, on the adivce that they have hardware RAID, supporting RAID 0 and RAID 1. These will be used a ISA Servers and domain controllers.

I've been doing some research and it appears it's not hardware RAID, but built onto the motherboard (ie using CPU and no backup memory)

Can anyone confirm this? If the on-board controller is not hardware RAID, what will the performance be like when using 300MB SAS drives?

Thanks/...
2 REPLIES 2
ldoodle
Frequent Advisor

Also, can the 2 on-baord LAN ports be teamed?

Thanks/...
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

now that you say that I read dl140 g3 quickspecs and I found this

Non-Hot Plug SATA Models HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller (integrated into the south-bridge) supporting SW RAID 0,1

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12509_na/12509_na.html

but let me explain you

there are 2 different software RAID.
1. the one that is created using OS (windows / linux) so OS do the calculations for parity and any other math calculation

2. the other one is at Firmware controller level which is at Software level but instead of using OS you use your firmware controller to create the RAID.

and for clarification HW RAID is done when the controller has a specialized chip which lets you create the RAID level.

conclusion
That SATA controller uses SW RAID at firmware level which is redundant capable in case you create of course RAID 1
so don't worry you are going to get Fault tolerance.

your second questions
yes you can Team your NICs

check this thread and check my answer when I mention BACS and my last answer add some screenshots using BACS in a dl140 G3 same as yours.

in this link is everything regarding BACS, link, deploy and so on
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1210526

anything else let us know
regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!