108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL140 G3 USB COM port

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mario N.
Advisor

DL140 G3 USB COM port

I connected an HP R3000_XR UPS to a DL140 G3 server and installed the HP Power Monitor software.
The HP Power Monitor reports that the UPS is not connected while it is connected to the COM port.
I connected the same UPS to a DL380 G5 server, I installed the same software and the UPS works as expected.
Both servers run Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2.
So, I presume that the problem is related to the COM port support of the DL140 G3 server.
How can I troubleshoot and solve the issue while minimizing the DL140 downtime?
Regards
Marius
6 REPLIES 6
predrag81
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: DL140 G3 USB COM port

If I don't wrong, R3000 XR has serial com interface integrated with management card, and DL140 also has serial port, so did you connect both end correctly, meaning that you connect serial on serial?

Predrag
Mario N.
Advisor

Thank you for your answer. Let me ask for some further information: given the picture on page http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12509_na/12509_na.HTML we connected the serial cable to the COM port of the RX3000 and to the port marked as 5 in the picure: shoud we have used a different port?
Regards
Marius
predrag81
Valued Contributor

No, that is serial port, so you are o right way, but why did you mention USB port?

Predrag
Mario N.
Advisor

USB??? What a stupid typing error! I wrote USB instead of UPS in the title!
Let me resume: I never considered connecting my UPS to any of my servers via USB (shoud I have done?)
All the attempts I made with either the DL380 and the DL140 were made using the COM port.
But while "HP Power Monitor" on my DL380 works fine and manages my UPS, the same program on my DL140 just does not see the UPS.
So my question is: how can I troubleshoot this problem?
According with the last answer I am using the right interface, am I?
What further check can I perform?
Regards
Marius
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Yes, you use correct interface and correct tool for monitoring.
1. Do you use same cable which you use in DL380G5 set up?
2. Try to first connect UPS and then reinstall appliaction

KR
Predrag
Mario N.
Advisor

Thank you for the update.
We do use the same cable, and we reinstalled the application more times after connecting the UPS, with no success...
Any further ideas?
Regards
Marius