1753599 Members
6372 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL140 Loud Fan Noise

Shams Soomar

DL140 Loud Fan Noise

Hi...I just bought a HP Proliant DL140 7/3.06 80GB 1GB server and the fan noise is very loud. I'm going to use it as my fax server. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize the fan noise?

Thanks!

Shams
8 REPLIES 8
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL140 Loud Fan Noise

Hi,

Update the BIOS and then update the proliant support pack for same server then check agian.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The ProLiant Support Pack is not available for the 100 series.

The DL140 self-regulates its fan speed depending on internal temperature. I would make sure that it is located in a spot with unrestricted front/back airflow with at least 8 inches of clearance.
Shams Soomar

Thanks for your help. I actualled called HP to see what their recommendation was and they said for me to get the updated bios on a bootable media and boot from it. Once the bios is updated, it'll drastically lower the fan noise. But, here's my problem. I have only a CD rom not A: drive etc. So, does anyone know how to make a bootable CD and also install the bios on that CD...?

Thanks

Shams
iparvaz

Once the smartstart utility has completed( this must be run) and windows begins to load, the fan noise decreases considerably. If smartstart was not run during setup , this problem persists. Dont know why.
bryan michaels

what about if we installed a linux OS on our DL based system? I have the newest bios installed, but i can't get the fan noise to lower. There is nothing blocking the fans, and it has plenty of air flow. It is even in an air conditioned room, constant temp of 69 degrees in the room. The fan noise is so loud i have to close the door so the other people in the office can work. Any help would be great.Bryan
Hans M. Wind

Hi iparvaz,

We have the same problem with extremely noisy fans.

Where did you get the smartstart Utility. Sofar I understood that the smartstart software does not run on the DL140.

Hans
TeeJay
Occasional Advisor

Does anybody know if you can solve the problem on a Proliant 5500 the same way?
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

There is an option in the BIOS to reduce the fan speed

Refer this thread for details

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=419786

Rgds

HGN