5923 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 and booting from USB data stick

nancy rickard
Occasional Advisor

DL140 and booting from USB data stick

Hi,

I have a problem. I would like to boot our DL140 from a USB data stick into DOS 6.22 so I can launch Ghost to take a backup image.

I have successfully made the data stick bootable and tested it on a workstation. Everything is working properly.

When I go the DL140 and tell it to boot from USB, nothing happens. It sits at a black screen with a flashing cursor. It is reading from the data stick because I can see the light flashing but nothing happens.

If I remove the data stick it boots back into Windows server 2003 successfully so I know the drives are OK.

The reason we would like to make a backup is it took two days to build it to it's current state and we need to test some new software. If it blows up the server it will set us back too far.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Nancy
10 REPLIES 10
nancy rickard
Occasional Advisor

I found a post that talked about the 2 GB RAM limitation which applies to our box but I tried modifications it suggested and they didn't work.

Nancy
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

M.KANAGARAJ
Advisor

Hi

have you checked the bios setup for leagacy usb support option . If the option is there u can enable it to support your usb boot device.

Regards
M.Kanagaraj
nancy rickard
Occasional Advisor

I have checked in the BIOS and I can't find legacy USB anywhere but I can set the data stick as a boot device so I'm assuming it supports it.

It does detect it under Advanced>Removable Devices.

I have searched through the HP site and I can't tell whether or not the DL140 supports it.

Thanks,
Nancy
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Nancy,

Please have a look at the following article which may help resolve your problem. It does only seem to be DL140 related.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0270W

Regards,

Brian
nancy rickard
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Brian,

We don't have a USB floppy and we don't have any plans to buy one unless we have no choice.

I was able to get the DL140 to boot from a USB CD-Rom drive so I just created a bootable CD to do what I needed. This isn't as pretty a method but it worked successfully.

My concern now is trying to get the data stick to work without incurring extra costs.

I did use HPs format utility to setup the booting on the data stick and I tried it on our 360 and that worked so I now thinking that a BIOS update may help ... it's worth a try. We are still at revision 03303T03A.

I will post if I am able to find a way to fix it.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Nancy
Kepa_1

Hello Nancy,

I'm having the same problem to boot from the DL140's.
We have bought CD's though, but they don't boot properly.

I have used the "HP Drive Key Boot Utility", and the system seems doesn't recognize the USB key to boot.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advanced.

Kepa.
Nancy Rickard_1
Advisor

Hi Kepa,

I was never able to get it to boot from the data stick, we gave up a little while after this post as we can boot from usb-cd.

Are you able to boot from a USB-CD-Rom drive using the disks that ship? We had no problems with that.

Nancy
Kepa_1

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found this utility, you can be interested in. The "HP DRIVE KEY BOOT UTILITY", which formats a USB key, so you can boot from it.

I have to say though, that it is not working for the DL140 G2, which is the model I want to do an image, anyway, I have test them with the DL140 G1 and it is working.

I have contact HP support, and they have told me to upgrade the firmware, what I have done it via a boot CD; but the most weird is that this boot disks don't work when trying to do the Network Boot CD.

Kepa.