Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL140 overheating????

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joel Jensen_1
Occasional Contributor

DL140 overheating????

Has anyone had a problem with the DL140 shutting down for now reason except high memory and CPU usage?

I am running RedHat enterprise 3.0
I have run a kernel compile looped for 3 days straight with no problems.

When I send a job which loads a design into memory and then starts computing, it uses little disk IO but lots of memory accesses and CPU cycles. The machine will crash after about 30 to 60 minutes.

Are these machines actually designed to keep cool when the CPUs are maxed out, or are they only for a mixture of IO and CPU usage?

Is this a problem for other models? Is it inherent with HP servers?

A year ago I built up a generic server running Linux as well. It has had absolutely no problems, even after a year of crunching hard.

As I am looking to build up a compute farm, this is a critical issue.

Thanks for your help.
2 REPLIES
Solution

Re: DL140 overheating????

Hello Joel,

make sure that the server cover is closed, as these servers are really slim servers and if the baffles or the server top cover is open chances are the air is not flowing properly to cool the server.

Next make sure your system bios is up to date as it shows in the "revision history"

Resolved the following:

* Issue with degraded system performance with 4GB of memory installed.

thats I guess if you have the 4GB memory in the server.

Also make sure no 3rd party memory as that could cause problem like your expierencing.

Hope this helps.
Good luck

-Iynkaran J

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.
Joel Jensen_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL140 overheating????

It appears to be a memory issue. The chips we got appear to have a faulty heat sensor and shut off when used heavily.

Thank you for your information.