1752637 Members
6123 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL140 some fans not running

Kai Schaetzl
Occasional Advisor

DL140 some fans not running

I bought a "used" DL140 G3 last year as a possible replacement for another DL140 G3, very cheap. It looks like it never was in use and worked just fine from the beginning. But after a few weeks all the CPU fans suddenly stopped working. Sensors actually report 940.42 rpm, but they are not running at all, this is obviously the lowest that the sensors can report. This is for CPU Fan 1 to 8 (4 double fans). 9 and 10 and System fans still run at normal speed.

Is it possible that this is actually some setting in the BIOS or in the BMC?

Other than that I imagine that a power or other cable that is common to all of them might have a problem? (There is a lot of cabling there.)

Until this happened the unit was used only irregularly for running harddisk tests and was shut down in-between. It was open, so one could attach an external CD drive easily and run the harddisk manufacturer's test software directly from the CD. I checked all I can see without disassembling it and there's no obvious damage to the cables or fans. So, before disassembling it I wanted to check if there is a chance that this is actually some config option or if anyone had hit the same problem and solved it by an "easy" procedure.

Thanks for any hints!

1 REPLY 1
Kai Schaetzl
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL140 some fans not running

Resolved. Someone had mistakenly removed the IDE power connector that powers the 4 fans. There's a slot for a slimline DVD drive and an IDE connector for it, so it was thought that power connector is also for the drive and got disconnected as there is no drive in the slot. Doo, little things.