1753553 Members
4657 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140G3 - PS2 Mouse Frequenty not seen through 8-port KVM

tom_173
Occasional Advisor

DL140G3 - PS2 Mouse Frequenty not seen through 8-port KVM

Multiple DL140G3s with HP 8-Port CAT5 KVM Console - all have same problem - mouse frequently not seen. Occasionally a reseat of the mouse in the server makes it work but sometimes not seen on next reboot. Do not think Windows Server 2003 problem as a BART boot CD has same problems.

Direct attach mouse always works, so I suspect problem with either KVM or something strange about DL140G3 support for KVM ?!

My thumbs are getting shredded by continually reseating mouse about 5 or 6 times before ssytem cooperates :-(

Any ideas out there ?

Thanks

Tom
10 REPLIES 10
Ryan James King
Occasional Advisor

Did you ever figure out why this was happening? We are experiencing the exact same thing. There are also times when the mouse is detected but jumps around the screen and the server thinks that the right mouse button is being clicked when it is not. Why does the DL140 G3 not display a PS/2 Compatible Mouse in the Device Manager (only HID-Compliant Mouse)?
Ryan James King
Occasional Advisor

I realised that this happens as soon as you upgrade the LO100i (BMC) firmware with version 2.12A:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26443.html

Do anyone else experience this problem?
Heath Perrett

Any one found a fix for this yet?

I have experienced this on two separate servers, both out of the box.

The servers are installed at different sites with different versions of HP's KVM, one is a 16-port and the second is an 8-port.

I have tried updating the firmware of the server to see if this provided a fix, I have also fully patched Server 2003 but this did not solve the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Heath Perrett

Downgarding the iLo from 2.12 to 2.11 solves the issue with the PS2 mouse not being seen from the KVM
Ryan James King
Occasional Advisor

I agree that downgrading the firmware of the LO100i to 2.11 would likely fix the problem however you then lose support for IE7. I am thinking that the only temporary solution (until HP provides an updated BIOS or LO100i firmware) is to get a PS/2 to USB adapter and connect the mouse to the USB port.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

what about upgrading the firmware of the adapter interface
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ryan James King
Occasional Advisor

I already downloaded and installed the latest KVM firmware. I also upgraded the firmware of the Interface Adapters but it still did not help. I have seen some posts that say you shouldn't downgrade firmware (LO100i). Has anyone ever run into problems doing this?

This is happening to me out of the box - a year after the issue was mentioned here.
V2.13 of the iLO is available but it did not fix my problem.
I've also tried backreving to v2.11 but that has not worked yet either.

This would seem to be a major issue (mouse support through a KVM on a rack mount server) so why hasn't a fix been released?

Already talked to HP Tech support. They had no idea.

My system works now, but what I had to do is a little odd, which is why I'm posting. Perhaps it will help others.

After downgrading the rom to 2.11 and still not having the system work I then went into the BIOS and turned off Quick Boot, and turned on the display screen.
Restart.
I noticed that the screen reported a Log Full error.
I happened to have left the DL140 Support CD in the drive, so it booted to that, and ran a quick check. (I don't believe that effected the results but I figure I'll mention it).
Restart.
Went into the BIOS, turned on quickboot and turned off the display screens. Went to the ILMI section and purged the log file.
Restart.
Mouse magicly works!

As an aside, 2.13 may work. I don't know, and I'm not willing to change things just to test. :)
I'd be interested to see if anyone else tries it though. The release docs for 2.13 do not mention anything regarding KVM Mouse Support.

Jonathan