ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753661 Members
5764 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL145 G3 ILIM user reset problem

Richard Huntrods

DL145 G3 ILIM user reset problem

This is the AMD Opteron based server which runs a different form of ILIM than other servers (like the Intel Xeon based DL320 G5P).

Anyway, I was trying to set up a new administrator account and disable the default "admin/admin" account.

FIRST - you cannot access any ILO management from the console with F8 - this is not that type of ILO.

The BIOS setup (F10) allows you to change the network settings for the ILIM, but that is about all. To set user accounts, you must log in as admin (password admin) using telnet or a browser.

I have done that, and then I got to the user page. (NOTE: the user page for this ILIM is totally different than the standard ILO user page - it appears to be already 'all filled in' with accounts.

I wanted to add a new username, so I took the first account and changed the name and password. I thought I had entered a username and password correctly (and set the account to administrator status). Then I un-checked the box by the admin account, which should (and did) disable it.

However, now I cannot log on to the ILIM manager no matter what. The admin account is disabled and the new account I added is not working.

I've already tried the following:

1. downgrading the ILIM version and then upgrading it (didn't reset the accounts).

2. Running 'ipmitool' from Intel with the hex command string '20 18 47 03 02 61 64 6d 69 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00' which is said to reset the admin password to admin. Again, didn't help (didn't activate the admin user).

3. cleared the system BIOS and reloaded factory defaults. This did clear the part of the ILIM that stores the network settings (as set up on the BIOS setup screen), but did not reset the user accounts.

HELP! I've read all the docs and searched the forums, but can find no further helps except the mention of a new motherboard. That seems rather severe for this problem. Does anyone know the hex commands for 'ipmitool' to reset the accounts (or activate the admin account again)?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
Richard Huntrods

Just FYI - here's some relevant info from the Firmware Upgrade "readme.1st" file included with the firmware upgrade:

ProLiant DL145 G3 Lights-Out 100 Ver. 2.14

Added support for new front panel temperature sensor on some newer system boards. This will increase the accuracy of the thermal monitoring.

Problems Fixed -

ProLiant DL145 G3 Lights-Out 100 Ver. 2.14

Resolved the Power restore policy issue. In some instances when the server would lose power it would not power back on even when the power restore policy was set to do so.

Known Problems -

* It is possible for the user to disable all user accounts from the user administration screen.

So - that's exactly what I did somehow. The account I changed should NOT have been disabled, but experience since then says otherwise.

SO - any ideas how to "un-disable" the default admin account?

Thanks,

-Richard
Richard Huntrods

I have FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! :-)

It took tons and tons of reading, but I started by "reverse-engineering" the hexadecimal string for ipmitool and then, using the Intel IMPI manual (630 pages) constructed a new command to re-enable the default admin account. It now works perfectly again.

Cheers,

-Richard
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

so what is the new hex command string?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Richard Huntrods

The code to enable user #3 (admin by default) is:

20 18 47 03 01

NOTES:

20 18 - this is the id string of the IPMI
47 - this is the code to change password
03 - this is the user id to change
01 - this means "enable user"

Other codes are 00 - disable user and 02 - change password (followed by 16 ASCII bytes with the new password).

Users are counted by position from 0, where user 0 is fixed as NULL user. Admin is user 03 in the default table.

In the original command string given,
61 64 6d 69 63 - is ASCII for "admin".

You can change user names, passwords, enable and disable accounts plus LOTS more with this little tool. But for now I'm done as I fixed my problem.

Cheers,

-Richard
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh man thanks a lot for that code and explanation

thanks
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!