cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL145 ILO serial console usable at all?

ispcolohost
Occasional Advisor

DL145 ILO serial console usable at all?

I've got a stack of new DL145's but have found the ILO to be completely useless for the command line console access. The web interface works fine for resetting and power cycling, but my hope was to use the remote command line interface to be able to kickstart linux and reinstall the operating system from an external location as needed. I've found the serial and telnet interface to the console get garbled up into a useless jumble of characters after just the first screen during post. I've tried regular linux command line telnet, windows telnet, hyperterminal, the classic CRT program from VanDyke and a few other obscure programs and none of them result in a usable interface whether I'm on telnet or serial.

Has anyone gotten this to work reliably on these servers? My DL385's and DL320's with the higher end ILO work flawlessly with their java interface.

Thanks,

David
3 REPLIES
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re: DL145 ILO serial console usable at all?

Bear in mind you are dealing with a different chip onboard of the DL145 (is this G2 version?)

It is not iLO, it is Lights Out 100i.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remotemgmt/lightsout100i/index.html

But according to this web page it should support telnet though.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
ispcolohost
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it does support it as in I can establish a telnet session to it, but like I mentioned, it's useless as the screen quickly becomes covered in garbled characters. The lights out is supposed to use VT100 emulation but my guess is it's junk and there's no telnet client that will display it properly.

David
jmcgowan
Occasional Visitor

I'm facing this same issue. I'm managing several DL145's with Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 installed. I cannot get the console to redirect at all, though initially I could get the BIOS post screens. I've never seen a bash prompt! I agree that the web interface works fine for resets and status checks, but I need access to the console. This is not remote access! Most of the time I wind up with an EMS prompt, even though I have disabled EMS in BIOS (wonder what it provides in Windoze though).

BTW, I used SecureCRT's VT100 emulation and got good results (don't crank the speed up beyond 9600 though -- that's where I started seeing garbled results). In any case, this is a real disappointment from an otherwise fine machine.