ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754014 Members
3199 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL145 Second CPU Installation

Ian E Robinson

DL145 Second CPU Installation

I have 2 x DL145 G2s with Opteron 265s and I ordered part no 391781-B21 (another Opteron 265) to add a second CPU to each.

I installed as per the installation instructions, and switched back on, but the 2nd CPU is not registering correctly in POST, It is recognised as an Opteron 265, but the stepping type and other details are either wrong or ??? The POST log file fills up and the boot pauses for or to be hit.

I have tried a the same CPU in the other DL145 and another CPU in the original DL145, but get the same each time.

The firmware should be OK, as it recognises the first CPU no problem.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Ian
3 REPLIES 3
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: DL145 Second CPU Installation

try placing both original cpu's in the same system (and both additional cpu's in the other)
Pieter
Ian E Robinson

Thanks,

I tried putting in the CPU from the other system as a second CPU, but got the same errors. Replaced the CPU back in the system, and it worked fine again.

It does discover that there are 2 CPU's there, but it reports the following incorrectly (the correct figures in brackets)

MemClk = 100Mhz (200Mhz)
Tcl = ??? (this is what is says on screen)
Trcd = 0 (3)
Tras = (8) (the value is blank)
Trp = 0 (3)

Any other thoughts?

Ian
Ian E Robinson

Sorted it.

It was because there wasnt a memory module in the slot bank next to the second CPU. I moved a stick across, and the error goes away.....

Now, to test whether 1+1Gb in Dual channel on one bank is quicker than 1Gb in single channel on each bank...