108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL145 iLO port 80 not responding

SOLVED
Go to solution
useless38
Occasional Advisor

DL145 iLO port 80 not responding

The iLO on our two DL145s doesn't respond to port 80 browser access. According to the manual once I have setup IP addresses [and I know it's working as I can telnet to it] all I have to do is point a web browser to it as a http document.

This doesn't work, neither server responds. Is there somewhere I have to configure the port?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
useless38
Occasional Advisor

No suggestions?
Andrew_168
Regular Advisor

Try just browsing to it with no port specified, also check the firmware version on the ilo card

Andy
useless38
Occasional Advisor

I have tried it with and without ports already, and also https just in case.

Why would the firmware version make a difference? Surely hp test these firmwares before releasing them on their servers? While I can understand a firmware update can improve performance I can't see why it would prevent it's basic purpose from functioning correctly.

I updated the system BIOS two weeks ago on both servers, is the iLO firmware embedded in that or separate?
Brian Larsen

You're not alone in this. I have 3 DL145 servers with the same problem. This url: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remotemgmt/lightsout100/questionsanswers.html
says that there is an updated firmware to enable browsing it on port 80. However I've tried and utterly failed to find the right one.
useless38
Occasional Advisor

I can't believe how poorly tested these DL145 servers are. This is one of a line of serious faults we have had with ours. Until I updated the system BIOS when they first arrived we couldn't even boot from the hard drive! On one of our servers we had a SCSI fault so we took out the card and noticed the PCI-X slot had sticky tape covering some of the pins preventing the card from working properly. As soon as we took the tape off it ran fine.

What kind of QA goes on at hp? Do they even bother these days because it sure doesn't look like it from our recent batch of servers.
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I just upgraded using the file obtained from this page and it worked: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22698.html

Afterwords, the HTTP stuff was available. It's not fancy, but it doesn't really need to be.

I downloaded it, blew it open to an actual copy, and then copied the results to a directory on my RDP server. I then reverse-engineered how to make a PXE boot disk, and managed to have it work. (I'll try to make a cookbook a little later.)
useless38
Occasional Advisor

Craig,

Thanks for your help. After I updated to this firmware the BIOS no longer lets me set the management processor IP address and subnet mask. After modifying the values they reset to the defaults. Is this why U had to do all the extra work to get it running? We don't use PXE here at all so any detailed instructions would be most welcome.
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

I found (both before and after the upgrade) that the BIOS interface was confusing. You have to press enter after you finish typing your address.

Note that my PXE-BIOS-upgrade solution involved the Altiris stuff that comes with RDP. But I'll try to get my writeup done.
useless38
Occasional Advisor

I worked it out. Added DHCP entries for the iLO ports and now it's working fine. The BIOS absolutely won't let me set the IP and subnet mask though, it always goes back to 0.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 after each reboot. DHCP is a satisfactory solution though.

Thanks for your help.