1748151 Members
3607 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL145G2 debian 2.6 kernel panic

Dan Simoes

DL145G2 debian 2.6 kernel panic

We recently bought 3 DL145G2 with SCSI.
I found that one of them worked fine, but the other two would panic when trying to boot with a 2.6 kernel. After successfully swapping the second drive into the first machine, I recorded BIOS settings from the first machine, and changed the other two. All 3 now boot fine.

We have another 3 DL145G2 with SATA drives. These also panic on the 2.6 kernel. However, no matter what I change in the BIOS, I cannot get them to boot into 2.6. Any suggestions?

Another oddity - with every 2.6 kernel, except a 64 bit kernel on 32 bit userland, you can only see 3 of 4 cores, and 3 of 4 Gb of RAM.

I realize that debian (sarge) is unsupported and that true support will not be available until etch is out, and that etch will solve a lot of these issues. But, I still need to get these working, and I'm sure someone has come across this before.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: DL145G2 debian 2.6 kernel panic

Dan Simoes

Thanks for your reply.

I will look into the first one, however, I already flashed with the latest available BIOS update (trying to make a floppy on a system that has no floppy, and in a 100% linux&mac desktop environment was a challenge. I finally managed to make a USB key image I could boot from).

The second link you sent does not work.

As I mentioned, the SCSI servers are working fine once we made a couple of BIOS changes. The SATA boxes I simply cannot get working. I suspect it's something to do with the SATA controller, but I can't confirm.

sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Dan Simoes

I'm still dead in the water with 3 useless servers. I would send them back, but I think I missed my deadline.

Anyone from HP care to chime in, especially since you officially claim to support Debian?