ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748274 Members
4205 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL160 G5 Smartstart?

Alastair Lang

DL160 G5 Smartstart?

I have just purchased 3 DL160's and am familure with setting up servers using Smartstart. Is it correct that these servers don't have a SmartStart CD? Can someone direct me to download site for the software if it exists or a link to setup instructions?
I just need to configure the disks as a mirrored pair so that I can install the OS.
Thanks,
Alastair
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Alastair

yes you have to configure RAID normally with F8 and install driver manually, usb floppy disk W2003, usb key for W2008

driver depends on which controller server are using

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Sorry I meant to add the DL160 G5 documentation link for manuals and user guides to my previous reply.

See here....

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=uk&docIndexId=64903&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580694

Regards,

Brian
Alastair Lang

Thanks for the feedback Brian.

I booted from the Windows 2003 CD with the driver on an attached USB floppy. I choose F6 in Windows picked up the driver. However Windows got so far before informing me I had no hard disk configured.

Your post mentions F8 rather than F6. Am I missing something?

Any further pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Alastair
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

which controller your server is using?
SATA embedded or any other?
in order to provide you the correct driver link

when I said F8 that is during POST you configure your HDDs using F8 on POST, you configure your RAID level there

when you start the OS installation you have to press F6 to load driver

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Alastair Lang

Thanks for your help everyone, Windows is now installing.

Can't help but think HP are missing a trick here though - having to resort to a USB floppy drive and disk to set up a brand new server? Just as well I found a disk in a dusty cupboard. You probably can't buy them any more :)

Alastair
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alastair,

Yes - That's the biggest problem reported with the DL1XX and ML1XX Series servers apart from driver support and accurate documentation. HP really need to start thinking about the equivalent to Smartstart for these models as customers get very frustarted with them.

Some people just give up with so well done for keeping at it.

Regards,

Brian
Alastair Lang

Long live the floppy!

Cheers,
Alastair
Alastair Lang

x