1752780 Members
6137 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL160 G5 iLo extremely slow when shared

Votan
Occasional Advisor

DL160 G5 iLo extremely slow when shared

When setting my nic to shared mode, the BMC of my DL160 G5 becomes very unresponsive. It kind of works, but very slowly. Some options that normally appear on the left are not present. And adding a licensekey results in the browser displaying a few pages of garbage. (In IE the pages are completely broken, under firefox it is somewhat readable).
As soon as I switch the BMC port back to dedicated and use the dedicated port to connect, it all works fine, fast and all options are visible again on the left. (Like the KVM function, that is completely gone in shared mode)
All other network operations work fine in shared mode.. just the BMC will not participate...
I've upgraded all firmwares.. bios, bmc, nic... but still, it does not work.
Maybe some simple setup issue or something lie this???
10 REPLIES 10
jvin
Frequent Advisor

With iLO 2 only, shared network port provides a high-speed, full-featured connection to iLO. First generation, iLO only servers with shared network port are limited-to a low-speed (text only) connection to iLO when using the shared port.

Votan
Occasional Advisor

Oh, guess I missed to give the full specs.... as it is a G5, it has the iLo 100i what should provide full ilo functionallity in shared and dedicated mode. And as the pages are kind of corrupt and missing vital entries in shared mode, it's definately a bigger problem than just having a stripped down interface in shared mode....

If now one knows what it could be, I guess I have to have HP service it...
shuggy

Hi Votan,

I'm having the same problems with a brand new DL185 G5 which is hardly surprising as it shares the same iLO 100 firmware as the DL160 G5. When operating in shared NIC mode, I get ping times of anything ranging from 50ms to complete packet loss (when I try to access the iLO) which makes the iLO virtually unuseable (oh and yes, this is on a directly connected gigabit LAN). I also lose the remote KVM console facility in shared NIC mode. Incidently, I also have an outstanding issue of not being able to disable any of the unsecure services on the iLO 100 (telnet,http). I'm a great HP advocate and have been deploying HP systems for years but with both these issues, it seems the iLO 100 on the DL160 G5/DL185 G5 is of practically no use in a real-world deployment.

Personally, I'd have no problem paying an extra ├В┬г100 for iLO-2 functionality but rather I fear I've wasted ├В┬г150 on the advanced pack license for the iLO 100 on the DL185 as I can't use it.

If anyone has a solution (or explanation) for either of these issues, I'd be very grateful for the info.
Leszek ┼Б

We have the same problem on two DL 160 G5. We try everything - upgrade bios, ilo even network card - not working.
Annc

Yeah, I've got that same problem.
DL160G5 (I've got two)..... and problem with iLO. It works few days (oh - "works" it's too much for this. This is veeeeeeery slow. I have to wait up a dozen seconds to do anything in iLO) and suddenly stops. Not responding for ping (both shared and separated port), not responding on www..... not responding for nothing :)

I tried to update BIOS, change switch (linksys/planet/etc), update NIC's firmware. But the problem still exist.
I think that such a big and known corporation like HP should save the face and quick solve the problem..... or exchange the broken 160G5 for the other (property works) model)....
Unfortunately, I'm waiting since autumn 2008 .... and nothing happend in this case.

Votan
Occasional Advisor

Things are getting worse.... Today I had a longer talk with a technician from the proliant support team. This guy did not even know what the shared mode is regarding BMC.... after explaining it to him and having him to talk to his supervisor, he came up with a really discusting answer. The supervisor told him that this is normal behavior for the dl160 and that bmc in shared mode only works on some DL160 boards. I tried to tell him that I need it shared and that I payed extra money for the advance license wich features are simply not present in the shared mode bmc.... if it is working at all.... and he only replied that he can not help with this issue. This is really unbelievable for server support. I gonna call again tomorrow to hopefully talk to someone who knows what a server is and get the board exchanged.
I have always been happy with HP.. but this really makes me think about changing my mind.
Leszek ┼Б

Hello!

Hp support change motherboard in my DL160 G5, on dedicated port works fine but on shared port works extremely slow!

HP does not want to back money, still the same answer - "We're working to resolve the problem" any ideas?
Votan
Occasional Advisor

Well, guess the only answer I can give... after continously troubleshooting all my DL160G5 and DL180G5 systems..... buy FSC servers next time. I already bought some of their current S5 series and they work flawless. Sharing the nic of cause works just fine and BMC is MUCH better.
The HP DL100 series is a complete failure... Bet HP is using serers from a different comapny to run their businesses! ;)
Anyway, as I upgraded all my machines to max, I gonna keep them for a while and hope I'll not need to do any remote system administration via BMC soon.... as soon as they become obsulete, I gonna trash them and go with another brand.
Recently saw their campains for promoting the new DL100 G6 series.... gosh, guys.... no one believes all that crap anymore.. like how great and "reliable" your machines are... Either hire some better coders for doing better firmware.. or buy your serverhardware from someone who knows how to do it!

oh.. a site note.... HP updated their lo100i manuals to "you can't use KVM with shared port"... what is not even close to the full truth.... shared mode is not usable in any way... not just the KVM. Really HO guys... (F).. and now sit down!
Leszek ┼Б

Votan, you try return this server to HP?
We are trying a few months without effect.

We have the same problems as you.
Also, I noticed changes in the iLO manual HP.

We also have problems on a dedicated port, iLO stop working after 1-2 days and sometimes KVM itself stops working.

We create a website in Polish describing the issues to warn others clients.