4444 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL160 G8 E5-2643

talkster5
Occasional Visitor

DL160 G8 E5-2643

Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a DL160 G8 however we need to put 2 x E5-2643 processors in it due to a very specific requirement from a company I work with. On product bulletin the E5-2643 is not listed on the processor list however it does show that support for up to 2 x E5-2600 series processors.

I have checked the bridge and the socket is the same so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I also spoke to HP Tech Support and they explained that the list on product bulletin is what they have tried and tested according to the most popular specifications.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar scenario and if there is anything that I should double check before ordering everything?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
taylorb
Advisor

Re: DL160 G8 E5-2643

Are you talking about purchasing an off the shelf retail CPU and adding it yourself to the DL160?

In terms of motherboard and chipset, there is no reason it wouldn't work.   But with a 1U server, the heat dissipation is always tricky and you will need a specific, case matched heatsink to control CPU temp.   I don't know if they sell the heatsinks without the CPU as normally they are a single kit.    If you can find the right heatsinks, you might be fine.  

Although, honestly, heat may be the reason they don't offer that specific CPU, regardless of heatsink.  THe 2643 only has a T case spec of 73 degrees and a 130W TDP,  while the 2 supported CPUs with a 130W TDP  (2667 and 2680) have a T case of 85 degrees.  So it might just be that as a 1U is designed to run with a hot case.  

You will be moving outside warranty, too, so any issues that arise will probably be blamed on those non-HP SKU CPUs and there is some risk involved with straying outside the specs approved by engineering. 

You might just go with the 2667 to stay with an approved and reliable configuration.  Although the 2643 has a 3.3GHz core speed, the Turbo is the same 3.5Ghz as the 2667.   That means you'd likely end up with the same performance for bursty single threaded apps and obviously more cores means better throughput for multithreaded apps.  

talkster5
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL160 G8 E5-2643

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed response and that makes perfect sense. I will look into the other CPU you recommended.