1752666 Members
5569 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL160 Gen8 with P420 doesn't find any SAS disks

Nonformality
Occasional Visitor

DL160 Gen8 with P420 doesn't find any SAS disks

We have a DL160 Gen8 with a Smart Array P420 in Slot 2 and 4 2 TB 7200rpm SAS disks (MB2000FBZPN). All Firmware is updated, all cabling inside the case is double-checked, and nonetheless we always end up with Status Message 267 in the Array Configuration Utility, no matter whether we go there directly via F5 or through Intelligent Provisioning through F10. The 267 status alert message says: “There are no configurable physical drives attached to the current array controller.”

Any ideas of what else we can try?

5 REPLIES 5
Nonformality
Occasional Visitor

Can someone confirm the exact model and type of the SAS disks we have? I am confused:

We ordered 652757-B21 disks, compatible with Gen8 ProLiants. On our disks, it says the disk type is HP Model MB2000FBZPN. This model number, however, is described on hp.com as “HP 2TB 6G SAS 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) Dual Port” and appears to be a 507616-B21 disk, which is not compatible with Gen8 servers.

Can any of you shed light on this?

---

Link to the page where MB2000FBZPN is described as DP – search for FBZPN:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1127655&taskId=135

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

The disk carriers are different for the Gen8 servers.

The actual disk in the carrier is probably the same for both part numbers but the non Gen 8 carrier disk will not fit in your server which is why it'll say its not compatible.

Not sure why you cannot see the disks though...

Just a thought but I think the 100 series servers come with a built in array controller on the system board (a B120 or similar) Maybe you need to disable that in the BIOS?

Thanks,

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
cirrus147

Mark

I really need help with this same problem, not sure if my error code is the same but the symptoms are, two SAS drives fitting nicely into the front of a DL160 Rack Server.

When the initialisation happens, the lights on the drives sequence, so I know they are powered up and slotted in correctly, but under no curcumstances are they recognised as drives.

I have tried all the RAID controller settings in the Set-Up screen, and also Legacy SATA support etc, then reset all the Set-Up to factory NOTHING.

The drives are 3Tb HP genuine drives, HP Model - MB3000FBUCN p/n 638521-002

The Machine is HP Proliant DL160 Gen 8 PN 670572-004

S/NCZJ2340ZRM

product ID 662082-421

BIOS J03 07/02/2012

32Gb 

This machine was purchased for a start-up I am working on- and we have seen a months delay already becuase we can't bring the server on line.

RAID controler (when enabled reports "no drives found" when initialising. 

When Legacy SATA, it just tries to boot from USB (if present or NIC (if no USB) never a hope of recognising the two internal drives.

I have tried Single drives in all four slots.

I can't believe BOTh drives are faulty, and the machine is brand new.

even tried changing the interupts for the SATA controler - nothing changes it

Checked all the cableing - seems fine.

I think we have no option but to junt the machine and sell it on eBay

Very frustrating.  

Cal or Help someone please

Ian Valentine

+447967965298

ian.valentine AT openpvr.co DOT uk

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@cirrus147 wrote:

Mark

I really need help with this same problem, not sure if my error code is the same but the symptoms are, two SAS drives fitting nicely into the front of a DL160 Rack Server.

When the initialisation happens, the lights on the drives sequence, so I know they are powered up and slotted in correctly, but under no curcumstances are they recognised as drives.

I have tried all the RAID controller settings in the Set-Up screen, and also Legacy SATA support etc, then reset all the Set-Up to factory NOTHING.

The drives are 3Tb HP genuine drives, HP Model - MB3000FBUCN p/n 638521-002

The Machine is HP Proliant DL160 Gen 8 PN 670572-004

S/NCZJ2340ZRM

product ID 662082-421

BIOS J03 07/02/2012

32Gb 

This machine was purchased for a start-up I am working on- and we have seen a months delay already becuase we can't bring the server on line.

RAID controler (when enabled reports "no drives found" when initialising. 

When Legacy SATA, it just tries to boot from USB (if present or NIC (if no USB) never a hope of recognising the two internal drives.

I have tried Single drives in all four slots.

I can't believe BOTh drives are faulty, and the machine is brand new.

even tried changing the interupts for the SATA controler - nothing changes it

Checked all the cableing - seems fine.

I think we have no option but to junt the machine and sell it on eBay

Very frustrating.  

Cal or Help someone please

Ian Valentine

+447967965298

ian.valentine AT openpvr.co DOT uk

Ian, does your DL160 have the add-in P420 Smart Array controller, or are you using the embedded B120i? If your using the B120i it doesn't support SAS drives as it is only a SATA controller. If you have the add-in P420, you need to make sure the cable from the drive backplane is going to the P420, and not still plugged into the embedded B120i controller.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
izzool

Hi,

I just came across of similar issue. Has there been any solution to this?

My problem descriptions as below;

1. I had a faulty system board (iLO4 failed with flash media).

2. I have removed the faulty system board and installed new system board. Updated the serial number and product ID. Reboot.

3. In the BIOS, the system able to detect the HP Smart Array P420 Controller.

4. When booting up the system to Windows Server, the system did not load the HP Smart Array P420 Controller. Instead it show itself as HP SATA Controller. Then getting aloop of missing boot disk.

5. When I revert back to old system board (faulty ILO4), it managed to detect the HP Smart Array P420 Controller. and able to boot to Windows Server 2012 R2.

6. I reinstalled the new system board. I had tried to update SPP to the lastest version 2.60 but it does not seems to update.

7. Tried to copy BIOS configurations from old board to new system board. Tried to workaround BOOT Controller Sequence, Nothing seems to work.

8. FInal decision, I re-installed the old board (faulty iLO4) and let Client run on it while claiming RMA on the new board.

Please advise for solutions.