108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL160G5 Ram Limited to 8GB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor

DL160G5 Ram Limited to 8GB

I have a brand new DL160 G5 and I was under the impression that it could hold 32GB of memory. Right now it'll only post 8GB no matter how I move the RAM around. It just won't see RAM in the 5-8 slots, even ram that works just fine in slots 1-4.

It's dual quad core 2.5Ghz. Machine itself runs just fine.
6 REPLIES 6
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi heath

which is memory size? 2GB?

has server latest System ROM?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3580695&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580694&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#12212

you can install the online version if there is OS available and it is windows if not use the offline version

what happens if you populate slots 1,2,3,4,5 and 7 is more that 8GB recognized?

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor

I'll have to double check the bios version.

I've filled every slot with 2GB DIMMS. I've tried filling 1,3,5,7 and i get 8 like I should. I filed 1,2,3,4,5,7 and only get 8. Just doesn't seem to see more than 8. The only thing i've done is turn on the virtualization option.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

I forgot try also clearing CMOS

bye
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

did you fix you issue?

Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor

I reset the bios to defaults, it did nothing.

I have an identical box on it's way in. I'm going to see if that machine has the same issue with the ram and work on that one. If the new machine works, then I'm going to swap them out and test on the old machine to get it to see more memory. I'll let you know.
Kipp Glover
Occasional Advisor
Solution

It may be that you have a bad DIMM that is preventing the system from seeing any memory beyond 8GB. Make sure you move ALL the DIMMs around to see if it will see more memory on POST.

Cheers!
/Kipp