108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL160G6 - Debian(lenny) NIC Driver

SOLVED
Go to solution
Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor

DL160G6 - Debian(lenny) NIC Driver

I'm having trouble getting the networking to work on my new DL160G6.

According to what I can find the Broadcom drivers were taken out because of some non-free nonsense.

I've downloaded the linux driver from broadcom and compile a new tg3.ko. I installed it on the system in question and I still can't get the NIC to work.

Does anyone have it working and would be willing to share their driver file with me for Lenny 64bit? Or point me in the right direction to get it working?

If not I'm going to have to buy a 3rd party nic.
6 REPLIES 6
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'd be at least a little surprised if a core NIC on a G6 device was driven by the tg3 driver. I would have expected the bnx2 driver myself.

It would be goodness if you could report your troubles to the Debian folks. They need to know the extent to which their decisions about drivers affect end users.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Daniel Frazier
Frequent Advisor
Solution

According to the quickspec, the DL160G6 includes an "HP NC362i Integrated Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter". This is driven by the igb driver. The igb driver did not support this NIC until 2.6.27, so it didn't make the last Debian release. There is work being done to add this support in a future update to lenny - checkout http://bugs.debian.org/522922.

You can also try using a pre-release of Debian squeeze, which should have a new enough driver. Daily-built images are available here:
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/

Though this isn't a Broadcom driver, and therefore not related to the NICs in the DL160G6, it is worth noting that Debian has not removed any broadcom drivers due to non-free issues. tg3 and bnx2 were included in the initial release of lenny and bnx2x was retroactively added to lenny in a point release. The firmware for bnx2 and bnx2x is split from the driver and loaded from userspace. Upstream has done this as well, and distributions are following suit. This firmware is included in the Debian non-free repository, and instructions for using it are linked to from http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant
Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor

Ok. I guess my searches on google were wrong. WHen I searched everything came up tg3. I'll give the other driver a shot and see what happens on monday.

Thanks
Glenn Matthys
Frequent Advisor

The DL160G6 uses the e1000 or e1000e driver.
Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor

I loaded up 2.6.30 and the network card works with no further work.

thanks for the info
Heath Yob
Occasional Advisor