ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752790 Members
6021 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL165 G7 Optical Drive - No power connector?

SOLVED
Go to solution

DL165 G7 Optical Drive - No power connector?

I purchased a DL165 G7 server with the dual 12-core Opterons, only to find out it didn't come with a DVD-ROM drive. I ordered the drive that stated it was compatible with this server. I attempt to install it, but there is nowhere to plug in the power cable to the server that comes with the drive. The instructions say to use the power conversion cable if necessary, but one did not come with the drive or server. Is there a kit/part that I'm missing?
8 REPLIES 8
Saberus
Valued Contributor

Re: DL165 G7 Optical Drive - No power connector?

Not really finding much help in the Service Guide, but on the SATA optical drives, if your systemboard's connector for the optical looks like a SATA port with a little extra on the side, then you do not need the power conversion cable, the wider SATA port has the power as well.

The cable supplied with the drive is all one piece on the drive-side. But then the cable splits out to two connectors: standard SATA and another connector. I will attach a picture. I would think that the "standard SATA" connector would only supply data, and that the other connector would be meant for power. I haven't tried booting the server to test anything yet, so I could be wrong.

The picture shows the blue SATA cable, and the black "power" cable, ending in a 4-pin connector. I have a 10-pin MOLEX available, but I'd need a conversion cable to connect to that. There's nowhere else that I could plug this thing in.
Saberus
Valued Contributor

I see what you are talking about now, So were there any other cables that shipped with it? If it does, see if the system board has a SATA slot like the one on the back of the drive.

I know that the drives for the 300 series come with three different cables, but the DL165 uses different parts.

There were two cables that shipped with the drive. They were exactly the same. I never saw what they describe as a power conversion cable in the instructions.

I am able to connect the SATA connector to the mainboard, no problem there. It's just power that is lacking a place to connect to. The only thing I haven't done is take the housing off of the power supply to look for empty sockets.

Thanks for the replies! I've opened up a case with HP Support, as well as have my CDW rep get in touch with the HP dedicated rep for my state. I just wanted to also try this online forum in case someone has run into this as well.
Dimania
Solution

Had the same issue like you, but managed to find the right adapter described in the manual. Looks like the part number is 484355-004 HP COMPAQ DVD POWER ADAPTER CABLE. Also have a look at the picture attached (DL180 G6 accessories). Hope this will help ;)
Dimania

sorry, missing attachment

Amazing. Our kit did not come with that adapter cable. ALSO, the power supply that was in the server did not have the connector to connect to that adapter. So we were screwed both ways.

We finally got our issue resolved by replacing the server and having our vendor do the installation at their site before shipping to us, to ensure it would work. HP tech support in India actually told us that the reason we had problems was because we bought an American-designed HP server instead of an Indian-designed HP server. Yes, they actually said this.
Kirk Watson
Occasional Advisor

The connector label, per the Dl180 G6 Maintenance manual, is "CD".  It is NOT on the system board.  Rather, it is in the cable harness coming from the power supply.  In many cases, there is a nylon cable tie routing it towards the backplane.  In 8 drive models, this may work, but in a 12 drive with the DVD cage in the back, the cable tie needs to be removed, and the Cable with the "CD" connector needs to be routed between the system board and the fan cages.  It can be a bit obscured.