Occasional Advisor

DL180, BSOD at window setup

Hi.
we have a new HP DL180 G5 server.
--------hardware--------------
6 x 300gb scsi disk
Smart array p400 controller - connected to pci slot2
-------------------------------
when i try to build this using both Window server 2003 R2, and windows server 2003, it gives a BSOD (0xF789EA94, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I Have tried turning the sata off in bios, and installing, same BSOD.
Updated the bios, No change.
dowloaded firmware 8 cd (only to be told when i tried to run it, that i needed 7.40b..which i downloaded, but cant figure out)

i noticed that the Disk only flash for a second on the POST. should these's be lit up more??

anyway, im lost, and any help appreciated.

Regards
Damien
10 REPLIES 10
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL180, BSOD at window setup

Were you able to create the RAID on BIOS? Is the storage controller detected? Once the RAID is created you need to have the driver extracted into a floppy. During the windows installation it will prompt to press F6 to load the driver. Once the driver is loaded it will detect the hard drives and will continue with the installation. Make sure you have the correct driver.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157687&swItem=MTX-d7cf9e5b20e8423983267549a3&prodNameId=1157689&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
SuperHans_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

there are no logic drives detected at startup. no arrays that can be configured under the F8 option.
what should the hard disk be set to in bios? enhanced / compatiable? IDE / Raid?

i tried the link you sent on, but obviously it wouldnt work as there its not picking up the disks...

any other suggestions?

Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

at the moment Happy Dude's and David Brajort's solutions are the only ones, check :

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1231743
David BRAJORT
Occasional Advisor

Hi Damien,

Since I found a solution for my problem (very similar), I'll try to help you.

Step 0: Open your server and check that your drive bay are connected to you P400 controller.

Step 1: In the mainboard BIOS (F10) disable BOTH SATA controller (Advanced -> Harddisk Configuration) exit by pressing F10

Step 2: Verify that you have at least one logical volume so after the P400 initialization, press F8 then Create Logical Drive. Here, you should see your physical drives. If not there's something wrong. Otherwise create your volume as you like.

Step 3: You need a bootable CD image with the P400 driver integrated. So install nLite (google's your friend) and create your image.

Step 4: If you have a USB CDROM, burn your image with nLite, plug your USB CDROM, power-on and press F7. You'll have a list of bootable devices. There, you should see you USB CDROM. Boot it and everything should be ok.

Step 4': If you don't have a USB CDROM but you have the Light-Out 100c card, take control of your server remotely and then use the Virtual Media option. From there select the image you've created on step 3 and specify ISO Image. From the remote KVM press F7. Select the USB device (should be identified as Vendor). Boot and install your Windows.

Step 5: After full OS install, you can re-enable your SATA controllers.

Good luck
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi superhans were you able to deploy your server?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
SuperHans_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi David
Thanks for your response... ive just answered a few questions here....with more questions!
------------------------------------------
Since I found a solution for my problem (very similar), I'll try to help you.

Step 0: Open your server and check that your drive bay are connected to you P400 controller. --- For this, this is the cable with the multiple sata connectors? spare part number 454352-001? this was allready connected, is there another cable that i would need?

Step 1: In the mainboard BIOS (F10) disable BOTH SATA controller (Advanced -> Harddisk Configuration) exit by pressing F10 --- done this.

Step 2: Verify that you have at least one logical volume so after the P400 initialization, press F8 then Create Logical Drive. Here, you should see your physical drives. If not there's something wrong. Otherwise create your volume as you like. --- when the p400 initiliazes, it shows up, "no logical drives" and pressing F8 does not bring up the create logical drive. this happens very quick and i cant halt it to see if there are any error messages.

Step 3: You need a bootable CD image with the P400 driver integrated. So install nLite (google's your friend) and create your image. ---done this, but at the moment dont have a usb cdrom :(

Step 4: If you have a USB CDROM, burn your image with nLite, plug your USB CDROM, power-on and press F7. You'll have a list of bootable devices. There, you should see you USB CDROM. Boot it and everything should be ok. --set up the nlite image, looks like a handy deployment tool, but dont have a usb cdrom at the mo.

Step 4': If you don't have a USB CDROM but you have the Light-Out 100c card, take control of your server remotely and then use the Virtual Media option. From there select the image you've created on step 3 and specify ISO Image. From the remote KVM press F7. Select the USB device (should be identified as Vendor). Boot and install your Windows. ---no RILO on this machine :(

Step 5: After full OS install, you can re-enable your SATA controllers.

Good luck
-------------------------------------------
any more pointers appreaciated.
Damien
David BRAJORT
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

This sounds very wrong on many points:

For this, this is the cable with the multiple sata connectors? spare part number 454352-001? this was allready connected, is there another cable that i would need?
---
No, this cable is the octopus cable and it connects the drive bay to the build-in SATA controller (the one you must disable). The right part # is 454364-001 or 450245-001 or 389952-001

Step 2: When the p400 initiliazes, it shows up, "no logical drives" and pressing F8 does not bring up the create logical drive. this happens very quick and i cant halt it to see if there are any error messages.
---
Well since your drive bay is not connected to your p400 that make sense

Step 3: done this, but at the moment dont have a usb cdrom :(
---
Neither do I

Step 4: set up the nlite image, looks like a handy deployment tool, but dont have a usb cdrom at the mo.
---
You don't need to make a CD but an image.

Step 4': no RILO on this machine :(
---
Right, well, wait, no wrong if you've disabled your sata controllers and if you neither have a USB CDROM nor a Light-Out 100c, how can you boot your server ? You can├в t so your built-in sata controller is not disabled and so Windows 2003 installer will BSOD.

Well, I think there is something wrong with your setup. Did you build it by yourself ordering parts or is it a pre-build system?
If you build it, you probably forgot to order the right cables (you should have two).
If you ordered it, your integrator didn├в t installed it properly.

Good luck,

David
SuperHans_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi David,
just getting back to you now.
it turns out i was missin the cables to connect the p400 to the hard disks. who knew they would ship the controller with out the said disks... ?

at least now i can create the array. but as i still dont have a usb cd-rom drive, i still cannot install the os.

i just have one more question until i get my usb cd-rom
1) do you know if its possible to boot a usb key that would have the server 2003 iso on it? is this a feasible way to build the server?

Regards
Damien
SuperHans_1
Occasional Advisor

hi,
just to close off on this. (sorry about the delay, was off on my honeymoon)

but everything the guys mentioned above is correct.

ie, you have to build the server using a usb-cdrom drive.

my main problem at the real start is that they sent the controllers, but didnt send the cabels to connect the controllers to the backboard. once i had the cables, and followed the guys instructions above, the build went smoothly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Damien