1753727 Members
4468 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL180 - Boot sequence changing

MSD
Occasional Contributor

DL180 - Boot sequence changing

I installed SBS2008 on a DL180 (with RAID1 system drive and RAID5 for data), at the beginning of the year. The installation process necessitated several reboots, all of which executed without a problem.
A few days later, the system was rebooted to apply some patches but failed to reboot as the boot sequence in the BIOS appeared to have changed. This was corrected, human error was assumed to have been the cause, and the system booted without further problem.
Another reboot was carried out last night, and again it failed. On checking the BIOS it was found that the "Hard Drive" was not even listed in the boot sequence.
As this machine is at a remote site I need to determine the cause, and a fix ASAP to save having to make a site visit at every reboot.

4 REPLIES 4
MSD
Occasional Contributor

I don't know if this is significant:-

After the initial install, I plugged a USB drive into the server to use for back-up. It was the first reboot after this that the problem first occurred.

Between the first and second occurences the USB drive was changed.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

update bios to latest ensure controlle is first in boot options , then f10 and exit

fi yes usb selected as first boot option can cause these issues...

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
MSD
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for not being clearer.
When the problem first occurred, I came on site and dicovered the server was attempting and faiing to boot across the network. I went into the BIOS and set it to have the HD cioontroller as first priority boot device, followed by CD/DVD then usb. I removed the network from the options altogether. I saved this (F10) and booted the server.

The second time this occurred (yesterday morning) I forget what device it was trying to boot from, but I went in to the BIOS and dicovered that the HD controller was no longer in the list of boot devices at all.
I rconfigured the BIOS (and saved - F10) to ONLY have the HD controller in the list of boot devices. 50 screaming users precluded any significant testing at that time.
I may get the opportunity to perform additional tsting one evening next week, though this will be difficult as the office tends to operate between 8.00am and 9.00pm+ and is a remote site.
Creek
Frequent Advisor

It may also be helpful to know the BIOS version installed on this particular server.